Sentence in English in textbook "Calculus", by Robert A. Adams

• Calculus
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi, PF

I've got a translation into spanish of the sixth edition of "Calculus", by Robert A. Adams. At the second chapter, "Differentiation", eleventh section, I would like to know: the title of the section (Could it be "Velocity and Acceleration"?); and a sentence of the Example 2 ("A point P moves along the x axis..."): at the solution of the question (d), I have something like "Velocity is continous for all t, so, according to the Mean value theorem...". Wich would be the sentence in English?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

The velocity is continuous for all t so, by the Intermediate-Value Theorem, has a constant sign on the intervals between the points where it is 0.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356
Gold Member
In my edition, it mentioned Mean Value Theorem, and it didn't make sense.

Greetings!

Yeah, it's probably easy to mix up 'Teorema del valor medio' and 'Teorema del valor intermedio'.

Likes PeroK and mcastillo356
The English word "mean" refers to an average, so the mean value theorem talks about the average value.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
actually every derivative, continuous or not, has the intermediate value property, and the proof uses the mean value theorem, or at least its equivalent version, rolle's theorem. ( a function that goes up and then down, must take the same value twice and hence must level off somewhere in between.) so many interpretations are possible.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356