Separating real and complex parts of a number

In summary, I am trying to solve for the amplitude and phase of a wave equation, but I don't understand how to simplify the exponential form of the fraction 1+i \gamma_0.
KarolisK

Homework Statement

Hello, I am supposed to express the and the phase part of expression:

[itex]\displaystyle{S=\frac{k}{\sqrt{1+i\gamma_0}} \cdot exp\left(\frac{z}{1 + i\gamma_0}\right)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The answer should be in the form:

[itex]\displaystyle{S=a(\gamma_0) \cdot exp\left(i\varphi(\gamma_0)\right)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, its clear(probably) that for the amplitude part I just have to multiply this equation by its complex conjugate and take a square root out of the result. This leaves me with the expression of:
[itex]\displaystyle{ a(\gamma_0)=\frac{k}{\left(1+\gamma^2_0\right)^{1/4}} \cdot exp\left(\frac{z}{1+\gamma^2_0}\right) }[/itex]

However, I don't quite understand how to get the complex(phase) part of the number? A hint where to start would be very gladly accepted :), thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KarolisK said:
]
Well, its clear(probably) that for the real part I just have to multiply this equation by its complex conjugate and take a square root out of the result.

It is the magnitude or absolute value of the complex number instead of the real part. So how do you get the real and imaginary parts?

ehild

Ah yes, sorry, its the amplitude, thanks for noticing. I'll reformulate the problem. I need to get the expressions for the amplitude and the phase.

Is z in the exponent a complex number? Then write it out with its real and imaginary parts, and find the real and imaginary parts of z/(1+iγ0), so you have the exponential in the form exp(u+iv) .

Write the fraction 1/(1+iγ0) in exponential form, too: exp(a+ib). Then your formula is equal to k*exp((a+u)+i(b+v)). k*exp(a+b) is the magnitude, and the phase is b+v.

ehild

z is real and negative and k is real and positive constant. Anyway, expressing the fraction sqrt(1/(1+iy0) can get me just as close as:

[itex]\displaystyle{ k \cdot exp \left(\frac{1}{2}ln \left( \frac{1}{1+\gamma^2_0}-\frac{i\gamma_0}{1+\gamma^2_0}\right) \right) }[/itex]

Which I don't understand how to simplify to form exp(a+ib). I have also tried expressing phase from the general form:

[itex]\displaystyle{ \frac{S}{a(\gamma_0)}=exp \left(i \varphi \right) }[/itex]

Which is kinnda closer to the answer with the expression:

[itex]\displaystyle{ i\varphi=\frac{1}{4}ln\left(\frac{1-i\gamma_0}{1+i\gamma_0} \right) -
\frac{i\gamma_0z}{1+\gamma^2_0} }[/itex]

The answer should be:

[itex]\displaystyle{\varphi = -\frac{1}{2}arctan\ \gamma_0 - \frac{\gamma_0z}{1+\gamma^2_0} }[/itex]

Write all factors in the exponential form: r*e. Any complex number u+iv= r*e, where [itex]r=\sqrt{(u^2+v^2) }[/itex] and tan(φ)=v/u.
This way, [itex]1+i \gamma_0=\sqrt{1+\gamma_0 ^2} e^ {i\arctan(\gamma_0)}[/itex]

ehild

Last edited:
ah yes, thank you very much:)

1. What is the difference between a real and complex number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line and includes all rational and irrational numbers. A complex number is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, written in the form a + bi where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you separate the real and complex parts of a number?

To separate the real and complex parts of a number, you can use the formula a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the complex part. You can also use the property of complex numbers that states that the real part of a complex number is equal to the number itself, and the imaginary part is equal to the coefficient of i.

3. What is the purpose of separating the real and complex parts of a number?

The purpose of separating the real and complex parts of a number is to better understand the behavior and properties of the number. It also allows us to perform operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can a real number have a complex part?

No, a real number cannot have a complex part. Real numbers are represented on the number line and do not involve imaginary numbers. Complex numbers, on the other hand, have both a real and imaginary part.

5. How do you determine if a number is purely real or complex?

A number is purely real if its complex part is equal to 0. This means that the number does not involve imaginary numbers and can be represented on the number line. A number is complex if it has a non-zero imaginary part.