1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seperation constant giving a harmonic dependence. (Seperation of variables)

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8970/bose.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm on part b) where it asks which seperation constation gives a harmonic time dependence. From part a) I deduced the equation [itex]\frac{d^{2}T}{dt^{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex] = a constant. I'm choosing the constant [itex]k^{2}[/itex] and my question is does it matter if the constant is negative or positive? I have seen in textbooks that a positive constant gives the solution T(t) = Aexp(-kt) + Bexp(kt) whereas a negative one would be Acos(kt) + B sin(kt). Are both solutions equivalent or does only one of them give a harmonic time dependence (My guess would be the sin/cos one is the proper answer for this question.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi xago! :smile:
    yes, you're right … harmonic has to be periodic, and only sin/cos will be periodic :smile:

(exp will be either runaway or decay :redface:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook