1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence and series - Arithmetic mean question have been breaking my head

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two consecutive numbers from 1,2,3.....n are removed A.M of remaining numbers is 105/4. Find n and those numbers removed .

2. Relevant equations

Answer

n = 50
    those numbers are 7 and 8

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved this question like a few weeks ago but now it escaped my brain I have no idea how .. and I am so annoyed now you know how it feels right?
    Ok so heres what I got
    The A.M of the total numbers would be
    n(n+1) / 2 / n

that gives (n+1)/2

now what we get after removing the numbers
    let the numbers be x and x+1
    therefore their sum = 2x+1

now A.M after removing numbers

n(n+1)/2 - (2x+1) / (n-2) = 105/4

heres one I am not able to figyre out another relation PLease help somebody

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Multiply both sides by 2(n-2).
    [tex]\frac{\frac{n(n+1)}{2} - (2x+1)}{n - 2} \cdot 2(n - 2) = \frac{105}{4} \cdot 2(n - 2)[/tex]
    Rearrange and you'll find yourself with a quadratic in n. Pretend for a moment that x is a constant, and solve for n using the quadratic formula. Then you'll need to guess-and-check some values of x to make the discriminant a perfect square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook