Sequence and series - Arithmetic mean question have been breaking my head

In summary, the problem involves removing two consecutive numbers from the sequence 1, 2, 3, ... n and finding the value of n and the removed numbers. The arithmetic mean of the remaining numbers is 105/4. Using the given information, a quadratic equation can be formed to solve for n and the removed numbers.
nishantve1

Homework Statement

Two consecutive numbers from 1,2,3...n are removed A.M of remaining numbers is 105/4. Find n and those numbers removed .

Homework Equations

Answer

n = 50
those numbers are 7 and 8

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this question like a few weeks ago but now it escaped my brain I have no idea how .. and I am so annoyed now you know how it feels right?
Ok so here's what I got
The A.M of the total numbers would be
n(n+1) / 2 / n

that gives (n+1)/2

now what we get after removing the numbers
let the numbers be x and x+1
therefore their sum = 2x+1

now A.M after removing numbers

n(n+1)/2 - (2x+1) / (n-2) = 105/4

heres one I am not able to figyre out another relation PLease help somebody

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides by 2(n-2).
[tex]\frac{\frac{n(n+1)}{2} - (2x+1)}{n - 2} \cdot 2(n - 2) = \frac{105}{4} \cdot 2(n - 2)[/tex]
Rearrange and you'll find yourself with a quadratic in n. Pretend for a moment that x is a constant, and solve for n using the quadratic formula. Then you'll need to guess-and-check some values of x to make the discriminant a perfect square.

1. What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern, while a series is the sum of a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding the terms of a sequence together.

2. How do you find the arithmetic mean of a sequence?

To find the arithmetic mean, also known as the average, of a sequence, add all the numbers in the sequence together and then divide by the total number of terms in the sequence. This will give you the average of the sequence.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of an arithmetic sequence is: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

4. Can you find the arithmetic mean of a series?

No, the arithmetic mean is only applicable to sequences. A series is the sum of a sequence, so it does not have a single average value.

5. How can arithmetic mean be used in real-life situations?

Arithmetic mean is commonly used in statistics to find the average of a set of data. It is also used in finance to calculate the average return on an investment. In everyday life, it can be used to find the average score in a game or the average grade on a test.