Find bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences

In summary, bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences are the smallest and largest numbers shared by both sequences, serving as limits for their relationship. To find them, you compare the values of the two sequences and identify their common smallest and largest numbers. It is important to find these numbers as they provide insights into the behavior and patterns of the sequences and allow for more accurate predictions and analysis. There can be multiple sets of bounding numbers if there are overlapping values or multiple points of intersection. Bounding numbers can also be used in scientific research in fields such as mathematics, physics, and biology to analyze patterns, understand relationships, and identify limits and boundaries.
Entertainment Unit

Homework Statement

Let ##a## and ##b## be positive numbers with ##a \gt b##. Let ##a_1## be their arithmetic mean and ##b_1## their geometric mean:

##a_1 = \frac {a + b} 2## and ##b_1 = \sqrt{ab}##

Repeat this process so that, in general

##a_{n + 1} = \frac {a_n + b_n} 2## and ##b_{n + 1} = \sqrt{a_n b_n}##

(a) Use mathematical induction to show that ##a_n \gt a_{n + 1} \gt b_{n + 1} \gt b_n##
(b) Deduce that both ##\{a_n\}## and ##\{b_n\}## are convergent.
(c) Show that ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = \lim_{n\to\infty} b_n##

Homework Equations

None that I'm aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to complete (a) with some help.

I'm working on (b). I need to show that ##\{a_n\}## and ##\{b_n\}## are both bounded and monotonic in order to deduce that they are convergent. The sequences are both monotonic by the result of (a). I'm having trouble coming up with a bounding value for each of the following:

• ##\{a_n\}## (the decreasing sequence) is bounded below by ?
  • ##\{b_n\}## (the increasing sequence) is bounded above by ?
to show that they are bounded. I think what's giving me the problem is the fact that the sequences are interrelated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if ##\{a_n\}## is not bounded below?

Likes Entertainment Unit
PeroK said:
What happens if ##\{a_n\}## is not bounded below?
I think you're getting at ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n## would equal ##-\infty## and to calculate this limit and see what actually happens?

Entertainment Unit said:
I think you're getting at ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n## would equal ##-\infty## and to calculate this limit and see what actually happens?

Not really. What about this?

Entertainment Unit said:
(a) Use mathematical induction to show that ##a_n \gt a_{n + 1} \gt b_{n + 1} \gt b_n##

Entertainment Unit said:

Homework Statement

Let ##a## and ##b## be positive numbers with ##a \gt b##. Let ##a_1## be their arithmetic mean and ##b_1## their geometric mean:

##a_1 = \frac {a + b} 2## and ##b_1 = \sqrt{ab}##

Repeat this process so that, in general

##a_{n + 1} = \frac {a_n + b_n} 2## and ##b_{n + 1} = \sqrt{a_n b_n}##

(b) Deduce that both ##\{a_n\}## and ##\{b_n\}## are convergent.
(c) Show that ##\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = \lim_{n\to\infty} b_n##

Homework Equations

None that I'm aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm working on (b). I need to show that ##\{a_n\}## and ##\{b_n\}## are both bounded and monotonic in order to deduce that they are convergent. The sequences are both monotonic by the result of (a). I'm having trouble coming up with a bounding value for each of the following:

• ##\{a_n\}## (the decreasing sequence) is bounded below by ?
  • ##\{b_n\}## (the increasing sequence) is bounded above by ?
to show that they are bounded. I think what's giving me the problem is the fact that the sequences are interrelated.

If you have proven that ##a_n > a_{n + 1} > b_{n + 1} > b_n## it follows that ##b_1 < b_2 < b_3 < \cdots < a_3 < a_2 < a_1##.

Likes Entertainment Unit
PeroK said:
Not really. What about this?
Ok, I think I see what you were getting at now.

If ##\{a_n\}## were not bounded from below, it would run into ##\{b_n\}## at some point since ##a_n > a_{n+1} > b_{n+1} > b_n##.

So, ##\{a_n\}## on the way down would run into ##\{b_n\}## on the way up as ##{n\to\infty}##.

So the question becomes, at what value of ##n## do they meet (or at least get close since ##a_n## is strictly greater than ##b_n##) so the bounds for both sequences can be calculated?

Ray Vickson said:
If you have proven that ##a_n > a_{n + 1} > b_{n + 1} > b_n## it follows that ##b_1 < b_2 < b_3 < \cdots < a_3 < a_2 < a_1##.
Yes, and by extension ##b_1 < b_2 < b_3 < \cdots < b_n < b_{n + 1} < a_{n + 1} < a_n < \cdots < a_3 < a_2 < a_1## which implies ##b_1 < a_n## and ##b_n < a_1##.

It follows that, ##\{a_n\}## is bounded below by ##b_1 = \sqrt{ab}## and ##\{b_n\}## is bounded above by ##a_1 = \frac {a + b} 2##.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

1. What are bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences?

Bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences refer to the smallest and largest numbers that both sequences share. These numbers serve as limits for both sequences and help define their relationship.

2. How do you find the bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences?

To find the bounding numbers, you must first identify the two sequences and then compare their values. The smallest and largest numbers that both sequences have in common will be the bounding numbers.

3. Why is it important to find bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences?

Finding bounding numbers helps to understand the relationship between two sequences and can provide insights into their behavior and patterns. It also allows for more accurate predictions and analysis of the sequences.

4. Can there be more than one set of bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences?

Yes, there can be multiple sets of bounding numbers for two interrelated sequences. This can happen if there are overlapping values or if the sequences have multiple points of intersection.

5. How can bounding numbers be used in scientific research?

Bounding numbers can be used in various scientific fields, such as mathematics, physics, and biology. They can help in analyzing and predicting patterns, understanding relationships between different variables, and identifying limits and boundaries in a system.