1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences - Assumption that I need to confirm about n approaching infinity

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit:
    an= 2n/(n2+1)1/2

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because n is approaching infinity, is it OK to disregard the +1 in the denominator and just consider the denominator to be n? This would then divide out the n in the numerator leaving 2 which is the correct answer. I think this is acceptable, but I wanted to run it by you all to confirm. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes you can consider the limit like that, the '1' becomes negligible as n gets bigger and bigger.

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    great, that was what I thought but I wanted to make sure that what I got and the correct answer weren't just a great coincidence. Thanks for the fast reply! :)

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    factor out an n^2 in the denominator in the square root to get: sqrt((n^2)(1+(1/n^2))).

then the problem should be something like: (2n)/[(n)(sqrt(1 + (1/n^2)))].

Apply the properties of a limit taken to infinity and you should get 2 as your limit.

So in essence, you could ignore the 2, but to show why you can ignore it, you can do what I just showed you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook