1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series/Parallel impedance problem

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem description:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img707/2060/beskrivelse.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/5302/lign1.png [Broken]

[tex]Z = Z_1 + Z_2 + ... +Z_n (Series), [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{1}{Z_1} + \frac{1}{Z_2} + ... + \frac{1}{Z_n} (parallel)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= (\frac{1}{i \omega C} + R)^{-1} + (i \omega L + R)^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= (\frac{R + i \omega C R}{i \omega C R})^{-1} + (i \omega L + R)^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i \omega C R}{R + i \omega C R} + \frac{1}{i \omega L + R}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i \omega C R (i \omega L + R)}{(R + i \omega C R)(i \omega L + R)} + \frac{R + i \omega C R}{(R + i \omega C R)(i \omega L + R)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i \omega C R (i \omega L + R) + R + i \omega C R}{(R + i \omega C R)(i \omega L + R)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i C L \omega^2 + C R \omega + L \omega - iR}{i C L \omega^2 + C R \omega + C \omega - i}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i C L R \omega^2 + C R^2 \omega + L \omega R - iR^2}{i C L R \omega^2 + C R^2 \omega + C \omega R - i R}[/tex]

[tex]R^2 = \frac{L}{C}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{i C L R \omega^2 + L \omega + L \omega R - i \frac{L}{C}}{i C L R \omega^2 + L \omega + C \omega R - i R}[/tex]

.. and here I'm stuck. I need to eliminate those frequencies. (My approach may have been wrong all along?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That first term, the rearrangement of the capacitor's admittance, doesn't look right. Rework the algebra.

Regarding your approach, note that if the overall impedance Z remains constant with respect to frequency, then the overall admittance Y = 1/Z is also constant.

What can you say about the derivative of a constant?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3
    You are right I screwed up there. I worked out a new solution by the same principle:

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{(i \omega C)}{1+R} + \frac{1}{i \omega L+R}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}= \frac{(i \omega C)(i \omega L+R) + 1 + R}{(1+R)(i \omega L+R)}[/tex]

[tex]Z= \frac{(1+R)(i \omega L+R)}{i \omega C(i \omega L+R)+1+R}[/tex]

Still can't see it

I don't get what you're saying in your second sentence though. (derivative of a constant is zero) Is that part of solving the problem?

5. Oct 19, 2012 #4

gneill

Still a problem with the first term. Start with the series impedance:

##R + \frac{1}{j ω C} = \frac{j ω R C + 1}{j ω C}##

multiplying top and bottom by j:

## = \frac{ω R C - j}{ω C}##

The admittance term is the inverse of this, so: ##\frac{ω C}{ω R C - j}## and altogether:
    $$\frac{1}{Z} = Y = \frac{ωC}{ωRC - j} + \frac{1}{R + jωL} $$

If Y is a constant w.r.t. ω then, as you say, its derivative w.r.t. ω must be zero, right? So take the derivative and find out what the value of R2 must be that makes it so.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  6. Oct 19, 2012 #5
    Okay so I've taken the derivative with respect to ω

[tex]\frac{d Y}{d \omega}= - \frac{i C}{(C R \omega -i)^2} - \frac{i L}{(R+ i L \omega)^2} = 0 [/tex]

I'm supposed to calculate the parenthesis and isolate R2 from there?

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6

gneill

The idea is to simplify the derivative (giving it a common denominator) and then isolating R2. But your derivative does not look right. There should be three terms in the initial expansion of the derivative.

8. Oct 19, 2012 #7
    My math calculator program says it's correct? What's wrong with it?

Tried finding R2 from the derivative i calculated:

[tex]- \frac{iC(R+iLω)^2}{(CRω−i)^2 (R+iLω)^2} - \frac{i L(CRω−i)^2}{(CRω−i)^2 (R+iLω)^2} = 0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{- iC(R+iLω)^2 - i L(CRω−i)^2}{(CRω−i)^2 (R+iLω)^2}= 0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{- iC (R^2+2 i L R ω-L^2 ω^2) - i L(-1-2 i C R ω+C^2 R^2 ω^2)}{(-1-2 i C R ω+C^2 R^2 ω^2) (R^2+2 i L R ω-L^2 ω^2)}= 0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{-C i R^2-2 C i^2 L R ω+C i L^2 ω^2 + i L+2 C i^2 L R ω-C^2 i L R^2 ω^2}{(-1-2 i C R ω+C^2 R^2 ω^2) (R^2+2 i L R ω-L^2 ω^2)}= 0[/tex]

I plotted all this into a math calculator. The denominator in the last term was incredibly huge.

Btw thanks for the help so far. I at least got the idea behind solving the problem now.

9. Oct 19, 2012 #8

gneill

My mistake; I failed to recognize that you'd already applied a simplification.
    Since the derivative is being set to zero, you can ignore the denominator. You only need to expand the numerator and collect the R2 terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook