Series solution near an ordinary point

I have it now.In summary, we are given the differential equation -xy' - y + y' = 0 at x0 = 1. The problem asks for a recurrence relation, the first four terms in two linearly independent solutions, and the general term in each solution. Many approaches were attempted, but the solution is given by the following series:\sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}(x-1)^n - \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n+1)a_{n+1}(x-1)^n - \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_n(x-1)^n - \sum
mugzieee
Im given y"-xy'-y=0 at x0=1.

The problem asks for recurrene relation, and the first four terms in each of two linearly independant solutions, and the general term in each solution.

Whats thrwoing me off is the x0=1. I tried doing y= SUM an(x-1)^n, but when i differenetiate and plug in, i get stuck with the xy' part.
I also tried doing y=SUM an+1x^n, and it also doesn't work. I tried many other paths also, but none of them seem to work...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n} (x-1)^{n} = 0 [/tex]
where the term [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/itex] comes from
[tex] - (x-1)y' = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n+1} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n) a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/tex]

i don't understand how you got the -(x-1)y'. does the term xy' change to (x-1)y' when the x in the y=SUM an(x-1)^n changes also? I am sorry, but is there a way you can show you got the 2nd and 3rd summation in your solution in more detail please?

oh wait nvm my last post, i got it, thank you.

we know that
y'= [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n-1}[/tex]
y"= [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n (n-1) a_{n} (x-1)^{n-2}[/tex]
when we compute xy', doesn't it become just:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n}[/tex] ?
i don't see how [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n}[/tex] and
- [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n}[/tex] were obtained

Last edited:
Another way to do that problem, if it is the x0= 1 that is throwing you off, is to change variable. Let v= x- 1 so x= v+1. Then [tex]\frac{dy}{dv}= \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dv^2}= \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} so we can use y" and y' to mean derivatives with respect v also. In terms of the v variable, we have y" (v+1)y'- y= y"- vy'- y'- y= 0 and
v0= 0.

I simply set x = 1 + (x-1), so you see on the series form above

[tex] y'' - y'(1 + (x-1)) - y = 0 [/tex]

[tex] y'' - y' - (x-1)y' - y = 0 [/tex]

why was it necessary for you to set x= 1+(x-1)

Look at this

[tex] y'= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n} [/tex]

right?

so

[tex] xy'= x \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n} [/tex]

You see a problem with that?

the polynomial is not going to look like the other ones?

Cyclovenom said:
You should have
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n} (x-1)^{n} = 0 [/tex]
where the term [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/itex] comes from
[tex] - (x-1)y' = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n+1} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n) a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/tex]
i have this same problem and cannot figure out how you find a_0 and a_1 if all of the indexes are 0 and the (x-1)^n terms are the same as you show. if you solve the equation wouldn't you have the recurrence relation a_n+2 in terms of a_n+1 and a_n for n>or=0? Can you help me with next step?

Cyclovenom said:
You should have
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n} (x-1)^{n} = 0 [/tex]

where the term [itex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/itex] comes from

[tex] - (x-1)y' = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n+1} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (n) a_{n} (x-1)^{n} [/tex]

Actually there is a small mistake :redface:. Now you can solve this by letting n=0 in the first, second and fourth sums.

Hi, I'm actually working on this same problem and I'm not having trouble getting the equation mentioned above, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to extract the recurrence relation from it.

I see that the correct relation is

(n+2)an+2-an+1-an=0

But I don't understand how to get there from the four terms already mentioned above. I've tried writing the equation

an+2(n+1)(n+2)-an+1(n+1)-an-1(n)-an=0

which gives the correct answer for n=0 but not for subsequent terms. I've tried toying with ignoring the summation that begins at n=1 but i still can't seem to eliminate the (n+1) factor that isn't in the solution.

Ah I've found my mistake, I failed to correctly shift indices.

1. What is a series solution near an ordinary point?

A series solution near an ordinary point is a mathematical method used to find an approximate solution to a differential equation by expressing the solution as a sum of infinitely many terms.

2. How does one find a series solution near an ordinary point?

To find a series solution near an ordinary point, one must first express the differential equation as a power series with unknown coefficients. Then, by equating coefficients of like powers, the unknown coefficients can be determined.

3. What is an ordinary point in the context of a series solution?

An ordinary point is a point on the domain of a differential equation where the equation is well-behaved and a series solution can be found. This means that the coefficients in the power series do not blow up or become infinite at the ordinary point.

4. Are series solutions near ordinary points always accurate?

No, series solutions near ordinary points are only an approximation of the true solution to a differential equation. The accuracy of the series solution depends on the number of terms used in the series and how well they approximate the actual solution.

5. Can series solutions near ordinary points be used for all types of differential equations?

No, series solutions near ordinary points are only applicable to certain types of differential equations, such as linear equations with constant coefficients. Nonlinear equations and equations with variable coefficients may not have a well-behaved series solution near an ordinary point.