Serotonin, Dopamine, Glutamate, and the others

• Medical
  • Thread starter JaredPM
  • Start date
In summary, the complexity of a person's behavior cannot be accurately predicted solely based on their genetic sequencing. While there may be some patterns and tendencies present, factors such as environment and experiences also play a significant role. While medical research can provide some insight, it is not the sole determining factor in predicting behavior. Additionally, while genetics do play a role in neural connectivity, it is not the sole determining factor and other factors such as experience and environment also play a significant role. In order to truly understand how neurons function and predict behavior, a combination of genetics, statistics, and dynamical systems must be considered.
JaredPM
Are medical doctors (psychiatrists/neurologists) able to predict which neurons will activate given the genetic sequencing of a certain individual? In turn, causing someone to act a certain way.

Biology news on Phys.org
No. Behaviour of a person is very complex and depends on more than just genetic sequencing.

That doesn't mean we can make some predictions. For example, if a person is born in a family with depression problems, then there is a large chance that he will get depression as well. However, that doesn't mean that he WILL get depression.

Much of the behaviour of a person comes also from his environment. Somebody who was abused as a child will have other behaviour than somebody who had a perfect childhood.

I suffer from really bad OCD & Anxiety. I would love nothing more that to be part of the research team. I would love to do all kinds of medical research but I am an engineer, not a biochem/chem/biology major.

JaredPM said:
I suffer from really bad OCD & Anxiety. I would love nothing more that to be part of the research team. I would love to do all kinds of medical research but I am an engineer, not a biochem/chem/biology major.

why did you choose engineering instead then? better job perspective? more hands on experience? more relevant to your daily life? Is it too late for you to transition into biomedical engineering?

JaredPM said:
Are medical doctors (psychiatrists/neurologists) able to predict which neurons will activate given the genetic sequencing of a certain individual? In turn, causing someone to act a certain way.

Which neurons will activate when? And where?
Mind you, neural connectivity isn't determined by genetics, so the answer is no, Research in this area (which is largely the domain of cognitive/computational neuroscience, not psychiatry or neurology) is almost always concerned with the statistical behaviour/dynamics of large populations of neurons.

Number Nine said:
Which neurons will activate when? And where?
Mind you, neural connectivity isn't determined by genetics, so the answer is no,

Wooo, that is too strong a statement. Genetics is very important for neural connectivity, work in C. elegans or Drosophila have identified many genes that are involved. How would you expect the brain to form when there are no instructions? Behavior of simple organisms can be predicted by the neurons that are stimulated. Humans are many orders of magnitude more complex, we are far from understanding the human brain.

Monique said:
Wooo, that is too strong a statement. Genetics is very important for neural connectivity, work in C. elegans or Drosophila have identified many genes that are involved. How would you expect the brain to form when there are no instructions? Behavior of simple organisms can be predicted by the neurons that are stimulated. Humans are many orders of magnitude more complex, we are far from understanding the human brain.

Too strong, yes, but largely accurate for this particular question. The connectivity involved in local (i.e. neural ensembles) computations is so profoundly influenced by experience and environment that the genetic code will provide next to no insight if your goal is to "predict which neurones are firing" with the goal of predicting specific actions. The formation of most individual connections between neurons is largely algorithmic (where neurons are just following some instruction set that determines their connectivity based on their activity, and the activity of surrounding neurons and glia). If you want to understand what clusters of neurones are actually computing, you need statistics and dynamical systems, not genetics.

What is serotonin?

Serotonin is a chemical neurotransmitter that is primarily responsible for regulating mood, appetite, sleep, and other physiological processes in the body. It is often referred to as the "happy hormone" due to its role in promoting feelings of well-being and happiness.

What is dopamine?

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in regulating movement, motivation, and reward. It is often referred to as the "pleasure chemical" as it is associated with feelings of pleasure, satisfaction, and motivation.

What is glutamate?

Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that is involved in the communication between nerve cells in the brain. It is the most abundant neurotransmitter in the brain and is essential for learning, memory, and cognition.

How do serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate interact with each other?

Serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate are all closely interconnected and influence each other's actions in the brain. For example, dopamine and serotonin can affect the release of glutamate, and glutamate can alter the levels of serotonin and dopamine in the brain. These interactions play an important role in regulating mood, motivation, and cognitive function.

How can imbalances in serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate affect mental health?

Imbalances in serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate have been linked to various mental health disorders, including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and addiction. Too much or too little of these neurotransmitters can disrupt the brain's normal functioning and lead to various symptoms and behavioral changes.