Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set builder notation: is it ever used?

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

Should I sharpen up on using set builder notation? Like, will I ever need it in physics or calculus? I'm currently refreshing my skill at writing in Interval notation for inequalities and the like.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I will go ahead and say that this is one of the very basic things one pretty much has to be perfectly comfortable with using and reading.

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

I've just never seen it used anywhere. I've browsed through Calc books and never seen it :-S

5. Aug 1, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what books you checked, but if you study a certain kind of math, it's only slightly less important than knowing the alphabet. Try a book with "analysis" in the title. (For example Friedman. I can assure you that even though the notation is only used a few times on the first few pages, you would use it all the time when you work through proofs and do problems). You should find it in any book on linear algebra as well. How else does the book define a subset before it asks you to determine if it's a subspace?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook