Set of Powers Unbound from Above

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the author is trying to find a proof that the sequence {a^n} isn't Cauchy. However, they are not successful and may have made a logical error.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Let a > 1 and let S = {a, a2, a3, ...}. Prove that S is not bounded from above.

Relevant theorems
The least upper bound property of the reals and these consequences:
(1) For any real x there is an integer n satisfying n > x .
(2) For any positive real x there is a positive integer n satisfying 1/n < x.
(3) For any real x there is an integer n satisfying n ≤ x < n + 1.
(4) For any real x and positive integer N, there is an integer n satisfying n/N ≤ x < (n+1)/N.
(5) For any real x and e, there is a rational r satisfying |x - r| < e.

The attempt at a solution
I was thinking of a proof by contradiction by I can't think of anything contradictory. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
If an < k for all n, then what happens when you take logs of both sides?

I'm not allowed to use logarithms yet unfortunately, but I like the argument.

Look at successive differences between the an's. What can you say?

The differences should be increasing. I don't understand how this helps.

The following just dawned on me: Suppose S is bounded above. By the LUB property, S has a least upper bound s. Therefore, for any n, an ≤ s but also an+1 = a(an) ≤ s. This latter inequality implies that an ≤ s/a < s. We thus have that s/a is an upper bound smaller than s, which is a contradiction. Ergo, S can't be bounded above.

Is this correct?

No, there is a logical error in your proof. The fact that s is the least upper bound for the entire sequence does not imply that there is not some smaller number larger than an for a specific n.

However, you can say that there must exist some specific value N such that s- aN< 1. Now what can you say about aN+1?

HallsofIvy said:
The fact that s is the least upper bound for the entire sequence does not imply that there is not some smaller number larger than an for a specific n.
But I didn't state that...I think. Please tell me exactly where the logical error is:
1. Let n be a positive integer.
2. We have that an ≤ s.
3. We also have that an+1 ≤ s.
4. Thus, we have that an ≤ s/a.
5. Since n is arbitrary, an ≤ s/a for all n.
6. Ergo, s/a < s is a lower bound of S. Contradiction.
However, you can say that there must exist some specific value N such that s- aN< 1.
How? Which of the consequences I that I wrote in the first post are you using to deduce this?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

By the way, my previous post was hinting towards a proof of the fact that {a^n} isn't Cauchy, hence not convergent, hence cannot be bounded (because it's monotone).

Ah. Unfortunately I haven't dealt with Cauchy sequences yet so I can't use any of its results.

What is a Set of Powers Unbound from Above?

A Set of Powers Unbound from Above refers to a collection of abilities or capabilities that are not limited or restricted by anything external. This could include physical, mental, or supernatural powers.

How is a Set of Powers Unbound from Above acquired?

The acquisition of a Set of Powers Unbound from Above can vary depending on the individual or situation. It could be inherited through genetics, acquired through training or experimentation, or bestowed upon by a higher being.

What are some examples of a Set of Powers Unbound from Above?

Examples of a Set of Powers Unbound from Above could include superhuman strength, telekinesis, shape-shifting, or the ability to control elements. These powers are not limited by the laws of physics and can surpass human capabilities.

What are the potential consequences of possessing a Set of Powers Unbound from Above?

The consequences of possessing a Set of Powers Unbound from Above can vary greatly. It could lead to a life of isolation and fear as the individual struggles to control their powers. It could also attract attention from those who seek to exploit or eliminate the individual for their powers.

Can a Set of Powers Unbound from Above be used for good or evil?

Yes, a Set of Powers Unbound from Above can be used for both good and evil purposes. It ultimately depends on the individual's morality and their intentions for using their powers. However, the unchecked use of these powers can have devastating consequences regardless of the individual's intentions.