Sets help interpreting question

• Thread starter DorumonSg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, P(X) is the power set of X and for all Y,Z is an element of P(X), Y R Z where the number of elements in Y intersect Z is 1. Y R Z can be expressed as a set with the given conditions. Y R Z is not reflective, symmetric, anti-symmetric, transitive, partial order, or total order.
DorumonSg
I have this question but I don't get it at all. Here goes:

Let X be {x, y, z}
P(X) is the power set.
For all Y,Z is an element of P(X), Y R Z where The number of elements in Y intersect Z is 1.

So I worked out P(X) to be:

{(null), (x), (y), (z), (x,y), (x,z), (y,z)}

Then I don't get the next line, how can the number of elements of Y intersect Z be 1 if all members of Y and Z are elements of P(X)? Isn't Y = Z?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DorumonSg! :smile:

(you missed out (x,y,z) :wink:)

For example, (x,y) R (x,z) and (x,y) R (x) but not (x,y) R (z) and not (x,y) R (x,y,z). :smile:

So Y R Z is supposed to be:

{((x),(x,y)), ((x),(x,z)), ((x),(x,y,z)), ((y),(x,y)), ((y),(y,z)), ((y),(x,y,z)), ((z),(x,z)), ((z),(y,z)), ((z),(x,y,z)), ((x,y),(x,z)), ((x,y),(y,z)), ((x,z),(y,z))}

You mean like that?

Yup! :biggrin:

Thanks alot.

Am I also right to say that Y R Z is not Reflective, Symmetric, Anti-Symmetric, Transitive, Partial Order and Total Order?

DorumonSg said:
Am I also right to say that Y R Z is not Reflective, Symmetric, Anti-Symmetric, Transitive, Partial Order and Total Order?

No..

Eh? But I don't see any relations between them.

1. What is a set in mathematics?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a specific criteria or property. Sets are commonly used in mathematics to organize and represent data.

2. How are sets different from other mathematical concepts?

Sets are different from other mathematical concepts, such as numbers or functions, because they focus on the relationships between elements rather than on the individual elements themselves. Sets are also more abstract and can be used to represent a wide variety of mathematical concepts.

3. What are the different types of sets?

There are several types of sets, including finite and infinite sets, empty sets, and subsets. Some sets, such as natural numbers or real numbers, are also used frequently in mathematical operations.

4. How are sets represented and manipulated in mathematics?

Sets can be represented using different notations, such as set-builder notation or roster notation. They can also be manipulated using operations such as union, intersection, and complement. Sets can also be used in conjunction with other mathematical concepts, such as Venn diagrams, to visualize relationships between sets.

5. What are some real-world applications of sets in mathematics?

Sets have many real-world applications, including data analysis, probability, and graph theory. Sets can also be used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as economics, computer science, and biology.