Setting a tangent plane parallel to another plane-Cal III

In summary, the point (\frac{-1}{4},\frac{5}{8},\frac{-3}{4}) on the paraboloid y=x^2+z^2 is where the tangent plane is parallel to the plane x+2y+3z=1.
crims0ned
At what point on the paraboloid [tex] y=x^2+z^2 [/tex] is the tangent plane parallel to the plane [tex] x+2y+3z=1 [/tex]?

Tangent plane equation is...
[tex] Fx(X,Y,Z,)(x-X)+Fy(X,Y,Z)(y-Y)+Fz(X,Y,Z)(z-Z)=0; for x^2+z^2-y=0 [/tex]

My attempt at the problem...

First I found the unit normal for the plane I'm trying to match [tex] x+2y+3z=1 [/tex]

so.. [tex] \sqrt{1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2} = \sqrt{14}[/tex]

to the unit normal is [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}, \frac{2}{\sqrt{14}},\frac{3}{\sqrt{14}}, [/tex]

now I set that equal to the tangent plane equation and solve for the the point right? So...

[tex] 2x(X,Y,Z,)(x-X)-1(X,Y,Z)(y-Y)+2z(X,Y,Z)(z-Z)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}, \frac{2}{\sqrt{14}},\frac{3}{\sqrt{14}}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You had a good idea, but you have mistakes in there. Your last statement is not correct. You wanted to replace [tex]F_x \left(x,y,z\right)[/tex] with [tex]2x[/tex], not just the [tex]F_x[/tex]. The same goes for the rest of the partial derivatives. Also, that gave you the equation for the tangent plane, not the tangent plane's normal vector so you can't just set it equal to the plane's normal vector and solve.

What you want is that you know two planes are parallel if their normal vectors are parallel. This means that you can multiply one of the normal vectors by some scalar to get the other normal vector.

[tex]n_1 = \lambda n_2[/tex]

Well, know we want to know what the normal vector of the surface is at a given point. I hope you've learned gradients because they make this much easier.

If we have a function, [tex]f \left(x,y,z\right) = c[/tex], then the normal vector to the surface at a given point is the gradient of the function evaluated at that point, [tex]\nabla f \left(x_0,y_0,z_0\right)[/tex].

Just in case you don't know or forgot, the gradient of a function is defined as follows:
[tex]\nabla f \left(x,y,z\right) = \left(f_x \left(x,y,z\right),f_y \left(x,y,z\right),f_z \left(x,y,z\right)\right)[/tex]

And we want to know when [tex]\nabla f_1 \left(x,y,z\right) = \lambda \nabla f_2 \left(x,y,z\right)[/tex] where [tex]\lambda[/tex] can be any number. You would also want to check these values to see if they actually lie on your surface.

Yeah I think I got it now, I set the gradient equal to the normal of that other plane.

[tex] \nabla f \left(x_0,y_0,z_0\right)= u=<1,2,3>[/tex]
then I set the partials equal to that normal and I get [tex] f_x=2x_0; f_y=-1; f_z=2z_0 [/tex]

so... [tex] \nabla f \left<2x_0,-1,2z_0\right>=<1,2,3> [/tex]
then my only problem is my y's don't correspond so I multiplied the normal vector by -1/2 and get
[tex] \nabla f \left<2x_0,-1,2z_0\right>=<\frac{-1}{2},-1,\frac{-3}{2}>[/tex]

and I find [tex] x_0 [/tex] and [tex] z_0 [/tex]

[tex] 2x_0=\frac{-1}{2};2z_0=\frac{-3}{2} [/tex]

[tex] x_0=\frac{-1}{4};z_0=\frac{-3}{4} [/tex]

now I can plug those x's and z's into the original function to get my y.

[tex] y_0=(\frac{-1}{4})^2+(\frac{-3}{4})^2 [/tex]

[tex] y_0=\frac{1}{16}+\frac{9}{16} [/tex]

[tex] y_0=\frac{5}{8} [/tex]

So now I have the point [tex] (\frac{-1}{4},\frac{5}{8},\frac{-3}{4}) [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at only one point, called the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the surface at that point and shares the same slope as the curve.

2. How do you set a tangent plane parallel to another plane?

To set a tangent plane parallel to another plane, you first need to find a point on the other plane that you want the tangent plane to pass through. Then, you can use the normal vector of the other plane to find the equation of the tangent plane, making sure the normal vector is parallel to the other plane's normal vector.

3. Why would you need to set a tangent plane parallel to another plane?

Setting a tangent plane parallel to another plane is useful for calculating the rate of change of a function at a specific point on a surface. It allows us to approximate the slope of a curve at that point by using the slope of the tangent plane, which is easier to calculate.

4. What are some real-world applications of setting a tangent plane parallel to another plane?

One example is in engineering, where tangent planes are used to approximate the surface of a curved object in order to design and create more accurate and precise components. They are also used in physics to analyze the motion of objects along curved paths.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when setting a tangent plane parallel to another plane?

One limitation is that the tangent plane is only an approximation of the surface at a specific point, so it may not accurately represent the overall shape of the surface. Additionally, finding the equation of the tangent plane can be challenging for more complex curved surfaces or when working with higher dimensions.