Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up a differential equation

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    So I need help with this diff eq.
    A train is placed in the tunnel AB and is will roll through it under its own weight, stop and return. Show that the time for a complete round trip is the same for all tunnels and calculate it.

Using the fact that the force of gravity (inside the earth) is proportional to the distance from the center
    [tex]F_g = m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -kx[/tex]

I also know that [tex]\frac{4000}{\sin\gamma} = \frac{x}{\sin\alpha}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{F}{\sin\beta} = \frac{F_g}{\sin\alpha}[/tex]

Is this enough? I can't delete [tex]\gamma[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] which I think I should be able to.

(the red dot is the position of the train at an arbitrary time)

Attached Files:

• img.PNG
      File size:
      2.3 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is your "[itex]\gamma[/itex]" the angle that looks like a "v" in the picture? If so then obviously [itex]\alpha+ \beta+ \gamma= \pi[/itex]. You can eliminate either [itex]\beta[/itex] or [itex]\gamma[/itex] but not both. You don't want to- one of them will be your variable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?