Severe emotional distress and applying to grad school

In summary, the individual is a third year undergraduate physics major who has struggled with health anxiety since childhood. Recently, their anxiety has worsened and they have been diagnosed with OCD and are receiving cognitive behavioral therapy. They have also developed hypochondria and a fear of being poisoned, leading to multiple trips to the ER. Their mental health has affected their school work and they have switched to computer science due to a lack of interest in physics caused by depression. They are considering taking a leave of absence to focus on their health and are concerned about how this will affect their chances for graduate school.
CyberShot
So, I'm currently a third year undergrad physics major. I've always had health anxiety issues, since I was a child. However, very recently they've begun to worsen, and I've been going through a lot of depression/paranoia states. I've seen a psychologist and therapist. My therapist said I had OCD, but more geared towards obsessive thoughts. I'm now seeing her regularly and she hopes to cure me using cognitive behavioral therapy.

I'm a hypochondriac, and if you don't know what that means, any awkward bodily sensation I feel, is a good enough reason for me to drive to the ER. I've been to the ER 3 times this past month because I thought I was having a heart attack, stroke, and blood clot on 3 different occasions. Turns out it was just a panic attack. I've also developed this fear of being poisoned, by the government (irrational, I know) so I'm always throwing out perfectly good things like milk and butter. I'm a mess right now, can't stop thinking about death and loved ones.

The way this has been affecting my school is that I'm sometimes afraid to go to class, for fear that I'll have a heart attack and be too far away from the hospital which is by my apartment. Also, and most importantly, one of the classic symptoms of depression is that you no longer get any excitement or have any interest in previously enjoyed hobbies/subjects. Physics for me, was a MAJOR hobby/subject. But now, with my depression lingering, I sometimes feel very depressed even thinking about physics. The real shame is that I know it's not me who's changed, but the disease is controlling me. I want to feel like I have before, and spend countless hours in front of my whiteboard solving challenging and stimulating problems, but I can't due to depression.

This quarter, I've stopped taking physics classes and have switched to computer science, because I can't stand doing physics anymore, and thought computer science is the next practical thing. In fact, I've even fallen a year behind in physics because of this, and received poor grades last quarter, failing classical mechanics. I've also been so exhausted and have no energy to study for any classes, let any motivation to do so. I pretty much just mope around all day. Again, I think this is due to depression.

I guess my real question is, would this be an "excuse" to physics graduate schools for poor undergrad performance? And what can I do to re-ignite my passion?

Please help..feeling so down :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Worry about becoming healthy... grad school just isn't that important w.r.t. health

Take a leave of absence and get yourself back in order. I mean it. I had a similar problem as an undergrad and looking back, this is what I wish that I had done.

You're not doing yourself any good by persevering with classes and simultaneously dealing with mental health issues. In fact, you're shooting yourself in the foot and handicapping yourself next to students who DO NOT have to deal with those kinds of issues.

Yes exactly, a leave of absence is the best option by far. You can even do research during your leave of absence. And just try to self-study what you've missed. A good recommendation letter from research can easily more than make up for these sorts of weak spots.

Last edited:
To answer the question, medical conditions and/or terms of illness are usually factored into graduate applications when they exist. However, you still need to demonstrate the capacity for success in graduate school and every school will have it's own formula for determining how much weight an illness is given in adjusting your scores.

Still, even with a "medical excuse", if I'm looking at your situation and evaluating your ability, my obvious question would be "if he's already all stressed out and having such problems with his undergraduate work, wouldn't it be 10 times worse when he is in graduate school?"

In fact, you might want to consider that question yourself if your health condition doesn't change.

Zz.

I second Zz's comment. This isn't undergraduate admissions anymore and while grad schools may take health issues into consideration, they really want someone who can manage the typical graduate workload and then some. They're not going to admit you out of pity or give you a pass on getting poor class grades for it. And I'd see another therapist if this one isn't working out for you. On the igniting passion front, I don't have much advice. Do some sort of athletic activity you enjoy or find a group of friends you can talk about your major with. I'm always motivated to do more physics after arguing about it with a classmate.

1. What impact does severe emotional distress have on my ability to apply to grad school?

Severe emotional distress can significantly impact your ability to apply to grad school. It can affect your academic performance, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and overall application materials. It is important to address and seek help for your emotional distress before applying to grad school.

2. Will disclosing my severe emotional distress in my application hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Disclosing your severe emotional distress in your application will not automatically hurt your chances of getting accepted. In fact, it can show resilience and determination to overcome challenges. However, it is important to carefully consider how you present this information and to provide evidence of how you have worked to manage and cope with your distress.

3. Should I include my mental health history in my personal statement?

Your personal statement is an opportunity to showcase your academic and professional achievements, goals, and experiences. While your mental health history is a significant part of your life, it may not necessarily be relevant to your application. Consider carefully whether or not to include it and how it relates to your academic and career aspirations.

4. How can I address my severe emotional distress in my application without it overshadowing my qualifications?

One way to address your severe emotional distress without it overshadowing your qualifications is to focus on how you have learned and grown from your experiences. You can also highlight any strengths or achievements that demonstrate your abilities and potential for success in grad school. Additionally, consider seeking guidance from a trusted mentor or advisor on how to effectively navigate this topic in your application.

5. Will my severe emotional distress be taken into consideration during the admissions process?

The admissions process varies for each school, but some may take into consideration any extenuating circumstances, including severe emotional distress, when reviewing applications. It is important to reach out to the admissions office or consult their website to understand their policies and procedures for considering personal circumstances in the admissions process.