1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shadowing an Academic (Work Exp.)

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello,

I'm applying for maths at uni next year, and my careers advisor said that I could shadow an academic at my local university. I wanted to know what this entailed, exactly.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Do you know when you will shadow them? For example is it in the break where classes are over and exams are also over, or during the study session?

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Well, I have to submit my uni application by the beginning of October, so it'll be in the break when classes and exams are over I think -- though I could go in September where there may be a few classes going on.

5. Aug 14, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Well if they are occupied with teaching duties that include mandatory room for student consultation, marking of assignments, preparation of exams, co-ordination of subjects and that kind of thing, chances are that they will have more free time to concentrate on other things.

Also another thing is if the professor is a research professor, teaching professor or both. If they are a teaching professor and exams have just finished, then you can situations where things are starting to wind down.

Things like the above will have a definite impact and I can't speculate exactly what they would do, but these kind of factors are definitely going to have some kind of impact on what they need to do and whether they have time to do things like research or even things like going to meetings discussing courses, course changes, and regular things that come up as a result of the end of a year (all kinds of reviews).

6. Aug 14, 2012 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You neglected to say why you would do such a thing. What exactly is the purpose of shadowing "an academic" here?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook