Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics is a comprehensive and rigorous text that introduces fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and the Schrödinger equation. While it is suitable for advanced undergraduate students, some familiarity with linear algebra and classical mechanics is recommended. It sets itself apart from other textbooks by presenting the subject in a mathematical and rigorous manner, and includes a large number of exercises and problems for reinforcement. It approaches the concept of wave-particle duality using Hilbert spaces and operators, and can be used as a reference book for researchers in the field.
fizmat
Shankar's "Principals of Quantum Mechanics

Hi,

I study Shankar's "Principals of Quantum Mechanics".
I didn't find Shankar's slutions of Quantum Mechanics.
(for example, Exercise 5.2.1 - 5.2.2 - 5.2.3 - 5.4.6 so)

Although the number of exercises is quite small, no answers are given.
Do any of you know of a site where I might verify my results ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this website http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~stroud/p827.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Edgardo

1. What is the main focus or purpose of Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics?

The main focus of Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. It covers topics such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the Schrödinger equation.

2. Is Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics suitable for beginners?

While Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics is considered a standard text for graduate-level courses in quantum mechanics, it is also suitable for advanced undergraduate students. However, some familiarity with linear algebra and classical mechanics is recommended.

3. What sets Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics apart from other textbooks on the subject?

One of the main differences is that Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics presents the subject in a more mathematical and rigorous way, compared to other more conceptual or intuitive approaches. It also includes a large number of exercises and problems to reinforce learning and understanding.

4. How does Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics approach the concept of wave-particle duality?

Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics uses the mathematical framework of Hilbert spaces and operators to describe the dual nature of matter and energy at the quantum level. It also introduces the concept of superposition and the role of the observer in determining the state of a system.

5. Can Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics be used as a reference book for researchers in the field?

Yes, Shankar's Principals of Quantum Mechanics is often used as a reference for researchers and practitioners in the field of quantum mechanics. It provides a solid foundation for understanding more advanced topics and serves as a useful resource for solving complex problems in the field.