Quantum Mechanics Textbook,Zettili vs Shankar

In summary, the undergraduate physics student is seeking a supplementary book to enhance their understanding of quantum mechanics. They have considered books by Zettili and Shankar, but have received recommendations for McIntyre, which uses Dirac Notation and has good exercises. They are also considering J.J Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics, but are concerned about overlapping materials with other books.
PhysicsMajorLeo
Hello Everyone, I am an undergraduate physics student who planned to study quantum mechanics. I have been reading the introductory book by Griffiths, however I found that his book seldom uses Dirac Notation and there is little about mathematical formalism on quantum mechanics. Therefore I would like to get a supplementary book to enhance my understanding on quantum mechanics.

I noticed that a number of students suggest the book by Zettili(Quantum mechanics concepts and applications),but on the other hand,Shankar's Book(Principles of quantum mechanics)is also popular。Therefore, I would like to ask which book would you prefer?Thank you!

P.S. Anyway,I would definitely get a copy of J.J Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics which is listed as reference by Professors,my major concern is that would there be any significant amount of overlapping materials or topics between any of the books above with that of J.J Sakurai, Thank you!

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the Zettili book, but Shankar is a good choice. If you want a book at the same level as Griffiths, there is McIntyre which uses a state-first approach, but is also low on the math.

Likes atyy
Shankar is more advanced then Zettili. What's great, Zettili has plenty and plenty of worked problems. Shankar on the other hand made a lot of things clearer to me. Both use Dirac notation from the very beginning.

I do not recommend Zettili as a primary source for learning quantum mechanics, but, because
Frimus said:
What's great, Zettili has plenty and plenty of worked problems.
Zettili is an excellent secondary source.

DrClaude said:
If you want a book at the same level as Griffiths, there is McIntyre which uses a state-first approach, but is also low on the math.

I, too, like McIntyre as a Dirac-approach alternative to Griffiths that is at about the same level as Griffiths.

DrClaude:
Thanks for the advice,I will take a look at the book by McIntyre。

Frimus:
It seems that Shankar's book is better at conceptual building than that of Zettili, well if this truly is the case, then I will loan the book from library rather than getting a copy of it, by the way, thanks for the advice.

George Jones:
Thanks for the advice. However, I would like to ask, in case it is a secondary source with plenty of exercise, is it worth to spend a few to get a second hand copy of it? Thank you!

PhysicsMajorLeo said:
Hello Everyone, I am an undergraduate physics student who planned to study quantum mechanics. I have been reading the introductory book by Griffiths, however I found that his book seldom uses Dirac Notation and there is little about mathematical formalism on quantum mechanics. Therefore I would like to get a supplementary book to enhance my understanding on quantum mechanics.

I noticed that a number of students suggest the book by Zettili(Quantum mechanics concepts and applications),but on the other hand,Shankar's Book(Principles of quantum mechanics)is also popular。Therefore, I would like to ask which book would you prefer?Thank you!

P.S. Anyway,I would definitely get a copy of J.J Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics which is listed as reference by Professors,my major concern is that would there be any significant amount of overlapping materials or topics between any of the books above with that of J.J Sakurai, Thank you!
Neither. You cannot do better than McIntyre at the UG level that uses Dirac Notation. It has plenty of good exercises as well.

1. What is the difference between Zettili and Shankar's textbook on Quantum Mechanics?

Zettili's textbook, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications," focuses on the physical and mathematical concepts of quantum mechanics, with a heavy emphasis on problem-solving. Shankar's textbook, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics," delves deeper into the theoretical foundations of quantum mechanics, with a focus on mathematical rigor and proofs.

2. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners in the field of quantum mechanics?

For beginners, Zettili's textbook may be more suitable as it provides a more accessible and practical approach to understanding quantum mechanics. Shankar's textbook may be more challenging for beginners due to its emphasis on theoretical concepts and mathematical rigor.

3. Is one textbook more comprehensive than the other?

Both textbooks cover the fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics, but Shankar's textbook may be considered more comprehensive as it goes into more depth and includes more advanced topics. Zettili's textbook may be more suitable for those looking for a more concise and practical understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. Which textbook has better illustrations and examples?

Zettili's textbook is known for its clear and extensive use of illustrations and examples, making it easier for readers to visualize and understand complex concepts. Shankar's textbook also includes illustrations and examples, but they may not be as extensive as those in Zettili's book.

5. Can these textbooks be used as a standalone resource for learning quantum mechanics?

Both Zettili and Shankar's textbooks can be used as standalone resources for learning quantum mechanics, but it is recommended to use them in conjunction with other resources such as lectures, online courses, and practice problems for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.