Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 329K views
Ivan Seeking said:
True, horse people really love their horses [unlike cow farmers who often hate all cows with a passion! :oldgrumpy: ]

But ask any long-term horse owner if they have ever been hurt by a horse... Even the best horse is still a very big, dangerous animal. I think anyone I've known who had horses have had a few serious incidents. The former wife of one guy at work took a bad fall and her horse landed on her, causing serious brain injuries. She survived but came out of it a completely different person. They eventually split up.

Cows too! We often had the neighbors cows on our property for many years. I had one very close call with a ticked-off mama cow. The dog had been chasing her baby. When mama went after him, he came running and hid behind me! And then she had me cornered. If she had attacked I would have been trapped. I had a buddy with me who grew up on a farm. I looked to him for advice, especially in a situation like this. I looked at him and he looked like the owl. Uh oh!!! I think we're in BIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble!

The couple next door owned the cows. She had one "push" her through a fence made of 2" x 6" boards.
I am a city person so contact is limited. We have a few places where people take horses on trails and when I see them I keep my distance and do not make sudden movements.
I used to Fell run in the 90s in Macclesfield and we used to come across cows. To be honest they looked quite mellow. I think they were used to runners.
Fast forward to about 2005 and I was walking home around 6pm after being dropped off from work and I heard a clip clop.
Big horse, in the street trotting straight towards me. The street was residential but led to a main road. I pictured all sorts of carnage so I got in front of it whilst calling 999.
It would be interesting to hear what I said, i know I told them my name where I worked, who for and where I lived so they would know it was not a crank.
The horse went down a side road and I felt I had helped avoid disaster. The side road was a route to more residential. So avoid a pile up on a busy road but it strays into a bunch of kids playing out possibly!??
Police came and got it in the end with the residents.
A huge animal, magnificent, it towered over me and had me struggling to keep up with it.
Heard later someone had tried to steal it from it's stables and it threw them off and ran away.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
I am a city person so contact is limited. We have a few places where people take horses on trails and when I see them I keep my distance and do not make sudden movements.
I used to Fell run in the 90s in Macclesfield and we used to come across cows. To be honest they looked quite mellow. I think they were used to runners.
Fast forward to about 2005 and I was walking home around 6pm after being dropped off from work and I heard a clip clop.
Big horse, in the street trotting straight towards me. The street was residential but led to a main road. I pictured all sorts of carnage so I got in front of it whilst calling 999.
It would be interesting to hear what I said, i know I told them my name where I worked, who for and where I lived so they would know it was not a crank.
The horse went down a side road and I felt I had helped avoid disaster. The side road was a route to more residential. So avoid a pile up on a busy road but it strays into a bunch of kids playing out possibly!??
Police came and got it in the end with the residents.
A huge animal, magnificent, it towered over me and had me struggling to keep up with it.
Heard later someone had tried to steal it from it's stables and it threw them off and ran away.
Indeed, a horse on a road is a huge problem. We were actually allowing friends to board their horse at our place, for free. We had him for a year or so I think, when I happened to ask a lawyer about liability. I wanted to be sure we were addressing any legal concerns. When I explained the situation, my lawyer about jumped out of his chair and said, "Get that horse off of your property!" And he was dead serious. This was a HUGE legal problem.

The single biggest concern was that the horse would escape and get out on the road. If something happened and especially if someone died or was seriously injured because of the horse, we were 100% liable and our insurance wouldn't cover it. And we did have one very close call! He almost got away once. So as much as it broke our hearts, that was the end of Wizard. He had to go. :oldfrown:

Other strange complications: A horse can be deemed an attractive nuisance. So, if for example a kid jumped our fence to ride the horse, and got hurt, we were liable no matter how many no trespassing signs we put up.

And get this, even though we were keeping him there for free, we could have been taxed because, I swear this is what he said, we derived pleasure from having him there. :headbang: Tax laws and such are not set up for someone doing a favor. They want to treat it like a boarding business. UNREAL!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and pinball1970
You get the balls. I have the bat!

1676154812764.png
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, strangerep, collinsmark and 2 others
This guy freed a swan from being entangled in something.
The swan was relieved.
Swan's belly is facing forward.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 8.41.16 AM.png
 
Here is a link to a ~5 minute podcast interview with a guy who found a new species of tongue replacing fish parasites.
He took a picture which made this phenomena widely known.
The picture is not the original (could not find it) but there are a lot of very similar shots by now.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 6.10.56 PM.png
 
Lazy animals, very funny... :biggrin:

Doing Nothing At All
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Bystander, fresh_42 and 3 others
Ivan Seeking said:

Definitely one of the weirdest videos I've ever seen. 😄
I wonder what the whale was thinking...
...maybe:
"Thank god we stayed in the ocean, look at what we could have become." 🙂
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:

great music in the clip, by the way.
I really enjoy that kind of music.
 
DennisN said:
"Thank god we stayed in the ocean, look at what we could have become."

Or - being a nitpicker - "Thank god we returned to the ocean, look at what those became who did not!"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BillTre
This cat has got a refined taste.

?hash=99fb63e67287bc4f59cbd8a08cf25654.jpg
 
Attachments
  • CatInstrument.jpg
    CatInstrument.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Bystander and BillTre
Modern Times, or how jokes come true!

WEST BERKSHIRE, ENGLAND – ‘Rocco’ the foul-mouthed African grey parrot was banished from the National Animal Welfare Trust sanctuary for swearing too much but has a new audience when he learned how to use Amazon’s Alexa and went on a digital shopping spree while his owner was away, according to The Sunday Times.

Rocco has become such an expert at conversing with Amazon’s smart speaker system he now orders up music and treats.
https://spacecoastdaily.com/2018/12...ey-parrot-orders-up-goodies-on-amazons-alexa/
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Borg
Just wonderful... :smile:

 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and fresh_42