Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
Holy crap.

Yes, you don't want to clean the litter box.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, you don't want to clean the litter box.
Um, litter stall...? :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
strangerep said:
That's "Hercules", right? Seems astonishingly well-behaved.
She had better hope so!

He looks like a giant version of my orange tabby. It makes me want to pet him. LOL!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Liger bad!
On the British TV panel show QI one of the questions was what you get if a lion mates with a tiger. One of the panellists, Alan Davies, suggested "a scandal".
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
He [liger] looks like a giant version of my orange tabby. It makes me want to pet him.
Oh? You have no further use for your hand?

Actually, I feel a desire to cuddle him too. I guess I have no further use for my head. :oldfrown:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
Ligers are bilingual!


That is insane, a 900lb animal. I don't care how experienced those guys are, that animal freaking out just for a few seconds, for some unknown reason it is all over.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
pinball1970 said:
That is insane, a 900lb animal. I don't care how experienced those guys are, that animal freaking out just for a few seconds, for some unknown reason it is all over.
Yep! That is serious business. Did you see that they he lived in their house? :oops:

She makes the comment that one time he put his paw on her face and it was bigger than her head? Clearly that was an intense moment for her. And note that they almost always walk a bit behind the animal.
 
Last edited:
I find it fascinating that he speaks both lion and tiger.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I find it fascinating that he speaks both lion and tiger.
LOL! That is no joke Pinball! That is what she says.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! That is no joke Pinball! That is what she says.
Really? I will watch the whole thing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Baby bats being raised by someone.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 9.26.30 AM.png
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Blue Ring Octopus:


You used to be able to buy these in pet stores. Now you can't, too dangerous.
Occasionally, they are overlooked and get in shipments to pet stores and might get sold.
They are pretty small.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes! We had a horse for a time, and it nearly killed me. I was walking behind him which was normally okay. But one day, just when I was directly behind him, a tractor in an adjacent field backfired and the horse kicked with both hind feet. I had just turned my head towards the horse. His hooves just barely missed my head - one on each side! It was so close I could hear them go past my ears.

I came very close to dying or sustaining serious injuries three times in the 25 years we had the place. But that one probably scared me the most. It was sooooooooo close!

I finally found the photos of the horse - Wizard

1676054730010.png


Here he is out running with the dogs and taunting the cows next door.

1676054805904.png


He wasn't comfortable with me at first. But then, one clear and cold December night, when the moon was bright, and with about a foot of snow on the ground, I grabbed his bridle and took him for a run. As we ran side by side, he kept his eye on me the entire time. But the longer we ran, the more comfortable he seemed to be. And sure enough, we ran and ran until we finally became buddies. It was an amazing experience made almost magical by the snow.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, strangerep, BillTre and 1 other person
Ivan Seeking said:
I finally found the photos of the horse - Wizard

View attachment 322059

Here he is out running with the dogs and taunting the cows next door.

View attachment 322060

He wasn't comfortable with me at first. But then, one clear and cold December night, when the moon was bright, and with about a foot of snow on the ground, I grabbed his bridle and took him for a run. As we ran side by side, he kept his eye on me the entire time. But the longer we ran, the more comfortable he seemed to be. And sure enough, we ran and ran until we finally became buddies. It was an amazing experience made almost magical by the snow.
Horses scare the hell out of me but from listening to guys who work with them and have them on their land in different capacities, I can understand that connection. Like dogs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
pinball1970 said:
Horses scare the hell out of me but from listening to guys who work with them and have them on their land in different capacities, I can understand that connection. Like dogs.
True, horse people really love their horses [unlike cow farmers who often hate all cows with a passion! :oldgrumpy: ]

But ask any long-term horse owner if they have ever been hurt by a horse... Even the best horse is still a very big, dangerous animal. I think anyone I've known who had horses have had a few serious incidents. The former wife of one guy at work took a bad fall and her horse landed on her, causing serious brain injuries. She survived but came out of it a completely different person. They eventually split up.

Cows too! We often had the neighbors cows on our property for many years. I had one very close call with a ticked-off mama cow. The dog had been chasing her baby. When mama went after him, he came running and hid behind me! And then she had me cornered. If she had attacked I would have been trapped. I had a buddy with me who grew up on a farm. I looked to him for advice, especially in a situation like this. I looked at him and he looked like the owl. Uh oh!!! I think we're in BIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble!

The couple next door owned the cows. She had one "push" her through a fence made of 2" x 6" boards.
 
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
Unfortunately, the photographer was eaten moments later.
Dunno about that. The leopard looks quite well fed in the photo. (Or is "she" pregnant perhaps?)
 
BillTre said:
Blue Ring Octopus:
You used to be able to buy these in pet stores. Now you can't, too dangerous.
Occasionally, they are overlooked and get in shipments to pet stores and might get sold.
They are pretty small.
These critters appear from time to time in rock pools near Australian beaches. Little kids try to pick them up -- before their mother, or other nearby adults, scream at them not to...
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre