1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM equation velocity of wave help

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    SHM questions.PNG

2. Relevant equations
    x(t) = A cos (2pi * f * t)
    v (t) = - vmax sin (2pi * f * t)

vmax = (sqrt of k/m) * A
    v = circumference/period
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know how to find the velocity as question only provides amplitude and i dont know how to find period using the values in the bracket. .

I would like help in the right direction

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Adam,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

You need to do a bit of research on the traveling wave equation. I suggest a web search on "traveling wave parameters" (hint: The Hyperphysics web site entry provides a pretty good, compact summary).

All the information you need is in the argument of the cosine function if you think about what is required for one full cycle of the wave to occur when either of the two parameters (x or t) is held constant while the other is allowed to vary.

4. Apr 8, 2017 #3
    Hello!
    thank you so much i see what i did wrong! the equation is actually: y(t) = A cos (2pi/wavelength * x * vt) ~ and v is just 1/4.

I was taught another form of that equation which is y (t) = A cos (2pi* f * t). but if you substitute f as f = v/wavelength you get the following equation.
    bless your soul

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted