SHM: Why do Both Masses Have Same Periods?

• Thread starter gaobo9109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, two masses joined by a light spiral spring oscillate along the axis of the spring with the same period, despite having different masses and experiencing different spring constants. This is due to the consideration of the centre of mass as a reference frame and the varying lengths of the spring between the individual masses.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

Two masses m1 and m2 are joined by a light spiral spring. Each body oscillates along the axis of the spring, which obeys Hooke's law in both extension and compression. The bodies move in opposite directions and the centre of mass of the system is stationary. Explain why the periods of the oscillations of both bodies are the same

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two masses are attached to the same spring, they should exprience the same amount of restoring force F.

Hence, F=m1a1=m2a2=kx
a1=k/m1x
a2=k/m2x
Since m1 and m2 are not the same, the value of k/m1 and k/m2 should also not be the same.
T = 2pi(k/m)1/2
Following this reasoning, how can the periods of oscillations of both body be the same? I don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
no actually ur working is wrong. considering centre of mass as a reference frame, the length from the cm to m1 will be m2*x/(m1+m2) and to m2 will be m1*x/(m1+m2). now spring constant k1 for m1 will be (m1+m2)/m2*k and k2 will be (m1+m2)/m1*k. so the (omega)^2 for both will be ((m1+m2)/m1m2). hence the time period for both will be 2pi/(omega) which is same for both.

Why are you considering the distance from centre of mass but not the total extension of the spring? I thought it is the total extension that provides the restoring force?

first thing I would like to ask u is abt which point these two masses will oscillate? u need to consider a fixed point for this and hence is the com.

Sorry, i did not read your previous thread carefully. Now I understood what you mean. But i am still a bit uncomfortable with the fact that the same spring will have different spring constant.

it is not that the "same spring will have different spring constant", but different length of the same spring will have different spring constant. Suppose u have one string of 1 m and k=1. so if u break it like 2/3 from say right. Then the spring constant of the right spring will be 3k/2 will for the left part will be 3k.
mathematically; suppose F/x=k
then F/(2x/3)=3/2 k
I hope u got it now =p

1. Why do both masses in simple harmonic motion have the same periods?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is determined by the mass and the force constant, not by the mass itself. Therefore, regardless of the mass, the period will remain the same as long as the force constant remains constant.

2. Is the period dependent on the amplitude of the motion?

No, the period of a simple harmonic motion is not dependent on the amplitude. The period is solely determined by the mass and force constant.

3. Can the periods of two masses be different in simple harmonic motion?

Yes, if the masses have different force constants, then their periods will be different. However, if the force constants are the same, then the periods will be equal.

4. How does the mass affect the amplitude of the motion?

The mass does not affect the amplitude of the motion. The amplitude is determined by the initial conditions of the motion and the force constant.

5. Does the period change if the masses are connected by a spring?

No, the period will remain the same regardless of whether the masses are connected by a spring or not. As long as the force constant remains constant, the period will remain the same.