Shock to an infant when pulling power cord out of a wall socket

In summary: I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!In summary, the conversation discusses the potential dangers of a toddler pulling plugs from powerpoints and the measures that can be taken to prevent electric shock. It is recommended to install a Residual Current Device and physically separate the child from danger. The discussion also highlights the limitations of circuit breakers and the availability of safety measures such as plug-in protectors and arc fault breakers. The conversation also mentions the differences in safety standards and practices in different countries.
cloa513
My son occasionally pulls plugs from powerpoints. We tried to get a powerpoint cover but the strong tape here in Japan is weak and it fell off easily. I was just wondering how much electric shock he might get from pulling out the cord when the device (a fan) is operating. Its a two prong connector in Japan with 100 V. There is No Residual Current Device but there are circuit breakers. This is the ground floor and it is raised above the ground. Estimate the electric shock he might get if we stop him 1 second too late? He is 8 kilos.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Estimates are meaningless, except to say what you already know---100VAC can well be fatal.

Don't bank on catching him in time, he'll soon learn to wait until your attention is focussed somewhere else. Until they learn not to meddle, you must physically separate toddlers from danger.

Some plugs have a black insulating coating applied over half of each pin, as a small safety measure against accidental shock should fingers contact the plug when it is halfway out of its socket. I don't know whether these are available in 100V countries, but it would afford a small protection if you can get one fitted to you power cord/s.

Likes CWatters
This could be fatal. At under a year old, he is likely to be barefoot and wet.

We will assume his skin resistance to be 1,000 Ω if he touches a 100 V plug-in with cute, slobbery hands. So, the electrical current could be up 100 mA, which can be fatal. Physiological effects for 100-300 mA are Ventricular fibrillation, fatal if continued. Respiratory function continues.

My advice is to go ahead and place plug-in protectors in all unoccupied outlets. If he's been eyeing a certain outlet, then you need to either order a box cover or make one yourself (a box with a small hole attached to the wall will work, as long as it is secure and sturdy). It's only a matter time if he's already interested.

In the case that he is shocked: Although pulling the breaker is a good idea, the quickest option will be to use a non-conducting object like a toy or pillow within reach to break the connection.

Edit: This is per second. The heart can receive up 60 electrical pulses per second during a shock; after one cardiac cycle, the threshold for ventricular fibrillation can be reached. That's all it could take!

Last edited:
cloa513 said:
My son occasionally pulls plugs from powerpoints. We tried to get a powerpoint cover but the strong tape here in Japan is weak and it fell off easily. I was just wondering how much electric shock he might get from pulling out the cord when the device (a fan) is operating. Its a two prong connector in Japan with 100 V. There is No Residual Current Device but there are circuit breakers. This is the ground floor and it is raised above the ground. Estimate the electric shock he might get if we stop him 1 second too late? He is 8 kilos.
I would strongly recommend installing a Residual Current Device designed to protect life.

Likes berkeman
Teach him not to do it! If he is too young to learn it's your responsibility to physically prevent him.

cloa513 said:
My son occasionally pulls plugs from powerpoints. We tried to get a powerpoint cover but the strong tape here in Japan is weak and it fell off easily. I was just wondering how much electric shock he might get from pulling out the cord when the device (a fan) is operating. Its a two prong connector in Japan with 100 V. There is No Residual Current Device but there are circuit breakers.
At the conclusion of this thread, there are 2 points that should be emphasised:
(i) circuit breakers should never be thought of as protection against shock, their purpose is basically to protect devices and wiring and try to prevent fire due to sparking or overheated wires, and
(ii) in the specific scenario of meddling with a 2-pin power outlet and plug, a Residual Current Device adds no protection at all, though it is still recommended for all homes for the protection it can give in plenty of other hazardous situations that can arise.

In the US there are new residential codes for exactly this. Now, homes will be required to have arc fault breakers on any circuit that provides power to a receptacle. Arc fault breakers are designed specifically to prevent accidental electrocution or fires. In addition, receptacles must be tamper resistant to prevent children from sticking metal objects into unoccupied receptacles.

I realize that you are in Japan but you may have equivalents in your country.

NascentOxygen said:
At the conclusion of this thread, there are 2 points that should be emphasised:
(i) circuit breakers should never be thought of as protection against shock, their purpose is basically to protect devices and wiring and try to prevent fire due to sparking or overheated wires, and
(ii) in the specific scenario of meddling with a 2-pin power outlet and plug, a Residual Current Device adds no protection at all, though it is still recommended for all homes for the protection it can give in plenty of other hazardous situations that can arise.
Regarding item (ii), I agree that a RCD will not protect against a situation where the person places themselves between, say, Line and Neutral. However, these RCDs are so sensitive that the slightest imbalance whilst the person is tampering may trip the circuit.
In the UK the standard plug has an Earth pin which is longer than the two others and which opens a safety shutter when inserted, so it is essentially shock proof. But countries differ, and I have seen in Japan an example where an exercise machine had a Ground (Earth) connection made with a separate screw terminal.

tech99 said:
Regarding item (ii), I agree that a RCD will not protect against a situation where the person places themselves between, say, Line and Neutral. However, these RCDs are so sensitive that the slightest imbalance whilst the person is tampering may trip the circuit.
Which is why I felt it needs to be pointed out it offers no peace of mind in the specific situation described: in a 2-pin plug/socket where tampering will cause no imbalance, an RCD will not trip. Users should not put blind faith in these devices, they can't and don't cover all hazardous scenarios.

1. What happens to an infant when a power cord is pulled out of a wall socket?

When a power cord is pulled out of a wall socket, the sudden interruption of electrical current may cause a shock to an infant. This can result in muscle contractions, burns, and potential damage to the nervous system.

2. How severe can the shock be for an infant?

The severity of the shock can vary depending on the amount of electrical current, the duration of the shock, and the health of the infant. In some cases, the shock can be mild and cause temporary discomfort, while in others it can be life-threatening.

3. How can I prevent an infant from getting shocked when pulling out a power cord?

The best way to prevent an infant from getting shocked when pulling out a power cord is to use childproofing measures, such as outlet covers or power strip covers. It is also important to teach children about electrical safety and to always supervise them around electrical outlets.

4. What should I do if an infant gets shocked from pulling out a power cord?

If an infant gets shocked from pulling out a power cord, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Call 911 or your local emergency number and administer first aid, such as CPR, if necessary.

5. Are some infants more at risk for getting shocked from pulling out a power cord?

Infants who have access to electrical outlets and are in the crawling or exploring stage are at a higher risk for getting shocked from pulling out a power cord. It is important to take extra precautions to childproof your home and to closely supervise infants around electrical outlets.