Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Short question about Laplacians

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Hi, I have a short question about Nakahara's treatment about Laplacian's: page 294, section 7.9.5, equation (7.188).

He calculates the Laplacion [itex]\Delta = dd^{\dagger} + d^{\dagger}d [/itex] for a scalar function f. Every step is clear to me, except one; at the fourth line there is a factor of [itex]g^{-1} [/itex] popping up ( the determinant of the contravariant metric )

What I get is ( ignoring the minus-sign in front )

[tex]

*d*df = * \frac{1}{(m-1)!} \partial_{\nu} [\sqrt{g}g^{\lambda\mu}\partial_{\mu}f]\epsilon_{\lambda\nu_{2}\cdots\nu_{m}} dx^{\nu}\wedge dx^{\nu_{2}}\wedge\ldots\wedge dx^{\nu_{m}}

[/tex]

just like Nakahara. Now I use

[tex]

dx^{\nu}\wedge dx^{\nu_{2}}\wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{\nu_{m}} = \epsilon^{\nu\nu_{2}\ldots\nu_{m}} dx^{1}\wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{m}

[/tex]

and the contraction

[tex]
    \epsilon_{\lambda\nu_{2}\ldots\nu_{m}} \epsilon^{\nu\nu_{2}\ldots\nu_{m}} = (m-1)!\delta_{\lambda}^{\nu}
    [/tex]

and simply fill this in. I get the same answer as is at line four of equation (7.188), except for that [tex]g^{-1}[/itex]. So I'm missing that determinant somewhere, but where?

Many thanks in forward, my vision is a little blurred at the moment :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

I have the feeling that I should define

[tex]

dx^{\nu}\wedge dx^{\nu_{2}}\wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{\nu_{m}} = \epsilon_{\nu\nu_{2}\ldots\nu_{m}} dx^{1}\wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{m}

[/tex]

and that bringing those indices up on that epsilon tensor gives me that [itex]g^{-1}[/itex], but then the indices don't match.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

I have another question, but it's rather short so I can kick this topic. If I have a principle fibre bundle P with base manifold M and fibre G and an associated vertical vector field X and projection pi: P to M, why exactly is the pullback of pi acting on X zero? Most of the Nakahara exercises are quite easy for me, but this one is troubling me for a day now. If I just apply the definition of a pullback to the vectical vector field, I don't see why it should be zero given the definition of this vertical vector field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?