1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest time to save the swimmer offshore (geometry) ?

1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine a life guard situated a distance d1 from the water. He sees a swimmer in distress a distance L to his left and distance d2 from the shore. Given that his speed on land and water are v1 and v2 respectively, with v1 > v2, what trajectory should he choose to get to the swimmer in the least time? Pick some trajectory composed of two straight line segments in each medium (why?) and give a relation for the angles of the two segments with respect to the normal to the shoreline.

2. Relevant equations
    Ha

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should I include the diffraction of water, or should I not because this is a human? I'm assuming that I should use diffraction of water and so the corresponding optics equations because of the implication by "..some trajectory composed of two straight lines in each medium". If I didn't include diffraction, the angle wouldn't change, it would just be a straight line all the way through?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2
    Wait.. are his different velocities on and off shore going to be the cause of the different angles?

4. Jan 8, 2017 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is the reason for the two different angles. This is not a question of diffraction, it is simpler than that. Note that in each medium, th emotion must be a straight line.

5. Jan 8, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite so - it is a question of refraction.

6. Jan 8, 2017 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I did not want to give the solution outright so I did not mention refraction :-)

If your point is that refraction is an application of diffraction, I did not get into this because I did not think that the student was at a level of having seen how to prove refraction through Huygen's principle, I thought that by "diffraction" the OP was thinking about something quite separate from refraction. But I may have been wrong.

7. Jan 8, 2017 #6
    Still in my first year of physics related courses so I'm not "polished". As a result I tend to mix things up like that. Anyway, thank you this has helped.

8. Jan 8, 2017 #7
    Suppose there is someone dumb like me who doesn't understand the relationship this problem has with optics (it appears to be a kinematics problem at first glance), how can it be solved without the optics approach?

9. Jan 8, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What general rule governs the route light takes between two points?

10. Jan 8, 2017 #9
    I guess it takes the route that it takes the shortest time to travel it among all other possible routes.

11. Jan 8, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rght.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted