Determining shortest possible "time" to reach destination

In summary: Hello and thank you for your suggestion. In summary, the problem can be analyzed in a different reference frame, which moves with the river's current, making the water appear to be still and the man starting off from a moving position on the South bank and wanting to reach a moving location on the North bank. This can help with understanding why the straight path is the optimal solution for the man's trip from town A to town C in the shortest possible time.
arpon

Homework Statement

Two towns A and B, are situated directly opposite to each other on the banks of a river
whose width is 8 miles and which flows at speed of 4 mi/hr. A man located at A wishes to reach town C which is 6 miles upstream from and on the same side of the river as town B. If his boat can travel at a maximum speed of 10 mi/hr and if he wishes to reach C in the shortest possible "time", what course must he follow and how long will the trip take?

Homework Equations

(Not applicable)

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuition tells me that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for shortest possible time. I calculated for this case, and the result matches.
But I cannot quite convince myself that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for minimum time. It does not seem straight forward to me that the time will be minimum for the shortest (in terms of length) path. And that is because the magnitude of velocity can be higher for other trajectory than this shortest (in terms of length) path.
I tried to use calculus of variation, but the equation becomes quite messy.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:
Hi apron:

Using the calculus of variation is the right approach. Can you post the messy equation you came up with?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi apron:

Using the calculus of variation is the right approach. Can you post the messy equation you came up with?

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks for your reply.
I took the x-axis in the direction of AB, and the y-axis is perpendicular to it.
I calculated the time,
##t = \int_0^{x_1} \frac{1+y'^2}{v_r y' + \sqrt{v_b^2 - v_r^2 + v_b^2 y'^2}} \,dx##
[where, ##x_1 = 8~ miles##, ##v_r = speed~ of~ river = 4 ~mi/hr## and ##v_b = speed~of~boat = 10~ mi/hr## ]

We know the Euler-Lagrange Equation,
## \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{\partial L}{\partial y'}) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial y}##

Here, ##L = \frac{1+y'^2}{v_r y' + \sqrt{v_b^2 - v_r^2 + v_b^2 y'^2}}##

So, the RHS of the E-L equation is ##0##
But, it is really difficult to calculate the LHS.

Last edited:
Don't you think the answer is going to be that he goes in a straight line from A to C? So all you have to determine is what angle he rows at relative to the shoreline to arrive at 8 miles across at the same time that he arrives 6 miles downstream?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Don't you think the answer is going to be that he goes in a straight line from A to C? So all you have to determine is what angle he rows at relative to the shoreline to arrive at 8 miles across at the same time that he arrives 6 miles downstream?

Chet
I solved in that way and the result matches. But I cannot quite convince myself that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for minimum time. My confusion is that the magnitude of velocity can be higher for other trajectory than this shortest (in terms of length) path.

Hi apron:

I agree that the E-L equation is messier than I expected. I understand that you are not looking for a proof, but rather something that would help your intuition see why your straight line solution is optimal. How about restricting the variability of the an alternative path to two segments. That is, choose a point off the straight path and define a path as a segment leading to that point from the start point, and then continuing with a second segment from that point to the end point. Calculate the time for such a path and see that it takes longer than the straight path.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi apron:

I agree that the E-L equation is messier than I expected. I understand that you are not looking for a proof, but rather something that would help your intuition see why your straight line solution is optimal. How about restricting the variability of the an alternative path to two segments. That is, choose a point off the straight path and define a path as a segment leading to that point from the start point, and then continuing with a second segment from that point to the end point. Calculate the time for such a path and see that it takes longer than the straight path.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks for your suggestion. But I would like to understand the logic behind the fact that the time would be optimal for the straight path.

arpon said:

Homework Statement

Two towns A and B, are situated directly opposite to each other on the banks of a river
whose width is 8 miles and which flows at speed of 4 mi/hr. A man located at A wishes to reach town C which is 6 miles upstream from and on the same side of the river as town B. If his boat can travel at a maximum speed of 10 mi/hr and if he wishes to reach C in the shortest possible "time", what course must he follow and how long will the trip take?

Homework Equations

(Not applicable)

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuition tells me that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for shortest possible time. I calculated for this case, and the result matches.
But I cannot quite convince myself that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for minimum time. It does not seem straight forward to me that the time will be minimum for the shortest (in terms of length) path. And that is because the magnitude of velocity can be higher for other trajectory than this shortest (in terms of length) path.
I tried to use calculus of variation, but the equation becomes quite messy.

You could analyze the problem in a different "reference frame", which moves with the river's current. That is, in the new frame, the water is not moving, but the man starts off from a moving position on the South bank and wants to reach a moving location on the North bank. When viewed like that, the problem looks like a "pursuit" problem. After leaving the South bank the problem looks like one of the classic pursuit problems, such as that of Apollonius; see, eg.,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ApolloniusPursuitProblem.html
and/or [PLAIN]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PursuitCurve.html[/PLAIN]
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PursuitCurve.html .
See also
http://www.gotohaggstrom.com/Solving a basic pursuit curve problem 29 March 2014.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes arpon and Buzz Bloom
arpon said:
I solved in that way and the result matches. But I cannot quite convince myself that the resultant velocity should be in the direction of AC for minimum time. My confusion is that the magnitude of velocity can be higher for other trajectory than this shortest (in terms of length) path.
See if the straight path satisfies the euler lagrange equation.

Chestermiller said:
See if the straight path satisfies the euler lagrange equation.
Oh, yeah, it does. But is there any simple logic behind this fact?

Ray Vickson said:
You could analyze the problem in a different "reference frame", which moves with the river's current. That is, in the new frame, the water is not moving, but the man starts off from a moving position on the South bank and wants to reach a moving location on the North bank. When viewed like that, the problem looks like a "pursuit" problem. After leaving the South bank the problem looks like one of the classic pursuit problems, such as that of Apollonius; see, eg., http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2157975.stm and/or http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PursuitCurve.html .
See also
http://www.gotohaggstrom.com/Solving a basic pursuit curve problem 29 March 2014.pdf .
Thanks for your suggestion. This thought was really interesting.
But, I think the pursuit curve problem does not deal with "minimum time" to catch the pursuee.

Last edited:
arpon said:
Thanks for your suggestion. This thought was really interesting.
But, I think the pursuit curve problem does not deal with "minimum time" to catch the pursuee.

Not so; that is precisely what it does.

Ray Vickson said:
Not so; that is precisely what it does.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood it.

1. What factors affect the shortest possible time to reach a destination?

The shortest possible time to reach a destination is affected by several factors, including the distance to the destination, the mode of transportation, traffic conditions, and potential delays or obstacles along the route.

2. How can I determine the shortest possible time to reach my destination?

To determine the shortest possible time to reach a destination, you can use mapping and navigation tools such as Google Maps or Waze, which take into account real-time traffic conditions and provide estimated travel times. You can also manually calculate the distance and speed for your chosen mode of transportation.

3. Is the shortest possible time always the fastest route?

Not necessarily. While the shortest possible distance may seem like the fastest route, it may not take into account factors such as traffic or construction along the way. In some cases, taking a slightly longer route with less congestion may actually result in a faster travel time.

4. How accurate are estimated travel times?

Estimated travel times can vary in accuracy depending on the accuracy of the data used, such as real-time traffic updates, and the mode of transportation chosen. It is always best to allow for some extra time in case of unforeseen delays.

5. Can I reduce my travel time by changing my mode of transportation?

In some cases, changing your mode of transportation can result in a shorter travel time. For example, taking public transportation may be faster than driving in heavy traffic. It is always worth considering alternative modes of transportation to determine the quickest route.