1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Should I be a physicist or mathematician?

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    I'm a sophomore in high school. I'm taking pre-cal right now. I really enjoy theorizing about both math and physics, but what I don't like is endlessly repeating simple math that I already know how to do. I'd enjoy using some of that to help solve complex problems, but I do not enjoy doing simple repetitive math for it's own ends. Which of the two, physicist or mathematicians, does less repetetive problems and does more challenging problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

my advice would be look for cheap (probably 2nd hand) textbooks above your course syllabus and try work though them.

Something i wish I have done

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    Who cares? Just do something that you like and chances are you will change your career.

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4
    Don't choose your major based on "repetitive problems". You're still in HS, there are a lot of mathematics and physics you haven't encountered.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5
    Both change dramatically as you progress through university. Don't judge them from any courses in high-school. However, I would say that (Pure) Mathematics changes a bit more radically than Physics (others may disagree). The only way you will know what you enjoy is to try them both and get to higher-level classes. Some grind-work is going to be required regardless of the route you take.

As suggested above, looking ahead at textbooks is good, but some of it just takes time...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook