Should I bother with non-calculus based physics classes?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of taking physics classes and courses. The speaker is currently taking calculus one and plans to major in physics. However, the first calculus-based physics class requires calculus two, leaving only the option of taking a general physics class that does not require calculus until the following year. There is uncertainty about which major the class is aimed at and if it is worth taking as it is not calculus-based. The topic of programming in a physics major is also brought up, with the speaker recommending it for anyone pursuing a degree in math or physics. The possibility of double majoring in physics and philosophy is also discussed, with one speaker recommending against philosophy and suggesting math instead. It is advised to consult with the instructor before making
cj2222
I'm taking calculus one right now in community college. I plan to major in physics but the first calculus based physics class requires calculus two, so the only physics i can take until next year would be general physics that doesn't require calculus. I'm not sure what major the class is aimed at. It might be for architecture majors or someone who doesn't plan to even major in physics. does anyone think that i should not even bother taking it because its not calculus based?

Also, do you need programming for a physics major?

And do you think it is possible to double major in physics and philosophy or is there too much math to have philosophy classes along with physics and math classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take it. I imagine the concepts are the same. The only difference is you're using calculus instead of solely algebra/trig. I could be wrong of course and someone please correct me if so.

I took physics 1 over summer and I'm taking physics 2 right now. I'm hoping it will make calc-physics 1 that much easier when I take it this spring.

Also, I think it will help with developing problem-solving skills.

I think if you didn't take high school physics, or if you took it but didn't do well in it, it would be good to take it.

But you should ask the instructor, really. He/she would be the best judge if it would be worth your while or a waste of your time.

I would highly recommend ANYONE who took maths or physics degrees to take a programming course and keep up with it. I should have taken a programming course as well as a generic numerical methods couse as they would have been so useful to what I am doing now and in my time in industry.

cj2222 said:
I'm taking calculus one right now in community college. I plan to major in physics but the first calculus based physics class requires calculus two, so the only physics i can take until next year would be general physics that doesn't require calculus. I'm not sure what major the class is aimed at. It might be for architecture majors or someone who doesn't plan to even major in physics. does anyone think that i should not even bother taking it because its not calculus based?

Also, do you need programming for a physics major?

And do you think it is possible to double major in physics and philosophy or is there too much math to have philosophy classes along with physics and math classes?

Presumably, you'll be transferring to a physics-degree-granting institution to get your degree. If so, then you need to be careful in investigating if that institution will accept a non-calculus base intro physics for a transfer towards a physics degree. Most physics programs require a calculus-based intro physics courses, so there's a good chance that your non-calc physics course might not count towards your degree.

If you're taking such a class simply to get a better foundation in physics, that's fine. But you should consider the possibility that you might have to take another intro physics class later for it to count.

Zz.

I would avoid philosophy all together. I have seen some reasoning from philosophers and I have not been impressed. If you're want to do a double major then make it maths and physics.

1. What are the benefits of taking non-calculus based physics classes?

Non-calculus based physics classes can provide a solid foundation in the principles and concepts of physics without the added complexity of calculus. This can be beneficial for students who are not pursuing a career in a field that requires advanced knowledge of calculus, such as engineering or physics.

2. Will taking non-calculus based physics classes limit my future opportunities?

No, taking non-calculus based physics classes will not limit your future opportunities. Many colleges and universities offer both calculus and non-calculus based physics classes, so you can choose the option that best suits your academic interests and goals.

3. Is it better to take calculus based physics classes for a stronger understanding of the subject?

It depends on your academic goals and interests. If you plan on pursuing a career in a field that requires advanced knowledge of calculus, then taking calculus based physics classes may be beneficial. However, if you do not plan on using calculus in your future career, non-calculus based physics classes can still provide a strong understanding of the subject.

4. Are non-calculus based physics classes easier than calculus based classes?

Non-calculus based physics classes may be perceived as easier because they do not involve the use of calculus. However, they still require a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to solve problems.

5. Can I switch from non-calculus based to calculus based physics classes or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between non-calculus based and calculus based physics classes. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you meet the necessary prerequisites and to determine which option would be most beneficial for your academic goals.