Should I change my major to Physics? Help please.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who is currently a music education major but has recently become interested in physics. They are struggling with the demanding schedule of their music education program and are considering switching to a physics major, but are concerned about their lack of math background. The conversation also touches on the job market for physics majors and the idea of pursuing a degree for personal interest rather than job opportunities. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that the student should carefully consider their interests and goals before deciding on a major.
Alymarie993
I am currently a music education major at Penn State University at State College and I am very confused. I have always focused on music and never considered any other career path. I've always been very interested in science but with such a demanding musical education program, I never had the chance to explore other options. It's my second year at Penn State and I can't stop learning about physics. My bookshelf is lined with Physics books and I have asked all my friends who have taken physics classes to give me their notes and texts books (which they all have). I am taking astro-physics right now and I love it!

The problem- I don't have a lot of background knowledge in math. I've only taken up to pre-calc in high school. What should I do? (I can't minor in physics because music ed requires around 25 credits a semester!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics coursework requires a lot of Math, and you will need up to 5 semesters of it (Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations). Some of those classes have to be completed before you can start taking Junior and Senior level Physics courses. If you enjoy Math, or just enjoy it more than practicing music, I would certainly encourage you to consider switching to Physics.

Perhaps consider engineering over physics?

Why? Because the amount on the bottom line will matter to you sooner or later...more likely sooner.

Doin what you like and making really good money beats doing what you love and making so, so money.

I know several people would argue this opinon...but the phrase "cash is king" aint never gettin old.

As long as I'm paid enough to live comfortably, I'd give up the better wage to do what interests me more.

There are jobs in Astrophysics that pay fairly well. It probably pays better than music, and getting the degree could be less work, especially for people who are good Math students. My friends in music seemed to do more work than I did as an Electrical Engineer, and Physics, for me, was less time consuming than Engineering.

As a general rule my suggestion is if you’re torn between physics and something else, major in the something else. Basically IMO you should only major in physics if you feel compelled to major in physics. If you have to ask “should I major in physics?” then something else must have appeal and you don’t feel all that compelled to major in physics.

That being said, most people I see who ask “should I major in physics?” are considering it as an alternative to majoring in engineering, comp sci or something else that I think is more likely to help them advance their careers later in life. Combined with the fact that many people with physics educations end up doing things completely unrelated to physics is the reason for my standard suggestion.

I don’t know the marketability of a music education degree for a job you want, but I’d guess it’s not that great or you wouldn’t be considering changing course. Also, you seem pretty drawn towards physics, so (as long as you’re looking at a physics major as an educational endeavor and not job training) switching may be a good idea for you. I guess it’s just a matter of what a music education major has to offer you in terms of intrinsic interest and possible jobs in the future.

We hire physics majors to program computers. They make good computer programmers and good engineers too. Physics is more difficult than engineering though. Engineering is basically dumbed down physics or chemistry or math. Only study physics, chemistry or math if you really like them. Otherwise, go the easier route.

Alymarie993 said:
I am currently a music education major at Penn State University at State College and I am very confused. I have always focused on music and never considered any other career path. I've always been very interested in science but with such a demanding musical education program, I never had the chance to explore other options. It's my second year at Penn State and I can't stop learning about physics. My bookshelf is lined with Physics books and I have asked all my friends who have taken physics classes to give me their notes and texts books (which they all have). I am taking astro-physics right now and I love it!

The problem- I don't have a lot of background knowledge in math. I've only taken up to pre-calc in high school. What should I do? (I can't minor in physics because music ed requires around 25 credits a semester!)
If you change majors, you're basically going to be starting over as a freshman physics major. You'll have to take the required lower-division math and physics courses, but at least you will presumably have some of the general ed requirements out of the way. You could, of course, not change majors and just take physics classes for fun, but without an adequate background, your choices will be limited. In other words, whether you change your major or not, you'd probably need to take calculus and intro physics.

I guess one question you should ask yourself is, why are you majoring in music education? With your newly discovered passion for physics, are you questioning your objectives? As you noted, you never really looked into other career paths. If you stick with only music, will you regret not exploring other possibilities? Does it have to be one or the other?

As long as I'm paid enough to live comfortably, I'd give up the better wage to do what interests me more.

The issue is not wages, but whether you can actually get a job that USES what you studied. Getting a whole degree for only hobby purposes is a bit of an expensive and time-consuming hobby. That being said, although I'm an amateur musician, I'd be terrified of music in terms of career prospects, so physics is probably a step up in that regard.

MathAmateur said:
We hire physics majors to program computers. They make good computer programmers and good engineers too. Physics is more difficult than engineering though. Engineering is basically dumbed down physics or chemistry or math. Only study physics, chemistry or math if you really like them. Otherwise, go the easier route.
Your assumption that engineering is on the whole an easier major than physics is dead wrong.

I think that usually the opposite is true. Physics is easier than engineering. Not always, but usually.

Likes billy_joule and jz92wjaz

1. Can I change my major to Physics even if I don't have a strong background in math or science?

Yes, it is possible to change your major to Physics without a strong background in math or science. However, it may require extra effort and dedication to catch up on any knowledge gaps. Many universities offer introductory courses for students who are new to the subject.

2. Will changing my major to Physics limit my career options?

No, changing your major to Physics does not limit your career options. A degree in Physics can lead to diverse career paths such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. The problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed in a Physics program are highly valued in many industries.

3. Is Physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract thinking. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a manageable major for those who have a strong interest in the subject.

4. How can I know if Physics is the right major for me?

To determine if Physics is the right major for you, consider your interests and strengths. Are you passionate about understanding how the world works? Do you enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking? If so, Physics may be a good fit for you. It's also helpful to speak with current Physics majors or advisors to gain more insight into the program.

5. What are the job prospects for Physics majors?

There are many job opportunities for Physics majors, both in academia and industry. Some common career paths for Physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, and more. With a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, Physics majors are also well-suited for careers in fields such as finance, consulting, and technology.