Should I do all the exercises in Purcell & Morin's textbook?

• Thread starter gimak
  • Start date
In summary: So if you have a problem that you don't know the answer to, you can check the solution in the back of the book. Doing the exercises will help solidify the concepts you have learned.In summary, the main thing to take away from this is that doing the exercises will help you solidify your understanding of the material, and you can use the answers to the odd numbered problems in the back of the book to help you with calculations.
gimak
Hi everyone,

I'm studying E&M using Purcell & Morin's textbook. The end of chapter exercises are divided into problems (has detailed solutions) and exercises (no solutions whatsoever). I know I should do all the problems, but is ti worth it doing the exercises. I mean, if I try the problem, I'll never know if I have the right solution, so are the exercises worth doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do at least a couple exercises, depending on the specific topic and how proficient you are at it. I would say do the problems, and check your answers. See how many you get wrong, and look over the solutions and figure out where you went wrong. Do about as many exercises as problems you got wrong, and increase or decrease depending on how well you do with it and the specific lesson covered.

Niflheim said:
I would do at least a couple exercises, depending on the specific topic and how proficient you are at it. I would say do the problems, and check your answers. See how many you get wrong, and look over the solutions and figure out where you went wrong. Do about as many exercises as problems you got wrong, and increase or decrease depending on how well you do with it and the specific lesson covered.

So you're saying that I should do the exercises that deal with the same subject as the problems I was struggling with. But, how do I know if I' got them right? There's 33 problems (with soln) and 50 exercises (w/o soln).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but if the problems have solutions can't you check your answers? And also, 33 problems is more than I was expecting, though the general thing I suggested should still work.

The end of the chapter things are divided into 2 sections:

1) Problems-these have detailed solutions

2) Exercises-these have no solutions whatsoever

this helps?

The main question I have is if it's worth doing the exercises (#2 above). Since they don't have the answers in the back, is it worth doing? I'll never know if my answers are right.

In real-life problems, e.g. when you're doing research, you don't have "answers in the back of the book."

Look for alternate solution methods to provide a check on your calculations.

Likes Vanadium 50
gimak asks this:
The main question I have is if it's worth doing the exercises (#2 above). Since they don't have the answers in the back, is it worth doing? I'll never know if my answers are right.

Check your solution in the equations you obtained or derived to find if they work.

But since you don't have the right answer, you don't know if the equations you derived are right. So, how can you know if you have the right approach to begin with?

The point of an "exercise" - a problem that doesn't come with a solution that can easily be looked up in the back of the book, is that it's an opportunity to practice using what you've learned thus far. You can use them as you feel you get something out of them.

Generally these are included in a textbook for the professors to give as homework assignments.

gimak said:
But since you don't have the right answer, you don't know if the equations you derived are right. So, how can you know if you have the right approach to begin with?
You will observe that many textbooks have a section in the back for answers to the odd numbered problems, but the even numbered problem answers are not listed. Same idea.

1. Should I do every single question on a test or assignment?

It is generally recommended to attempt every question on a test or assignment, as it gives you the opportunity to earn as many points as possible. However, if you are short on time or struggling with a particular question, it may be better to focus your efforts on the questions you are most confident in answering.

2. Is it better to skip a question or make a guess if I don't know the answer?

This depends on the specific test or assignment and the grading system in place. If there is no penalty for incorrect answers, it is usually better to make an educated guess rather than leaving a question blank. However, if there is a penalty for incorrect answers, it may be better to skip the question and come back to it if you have time at the end.

3. How do I know if I should do all the questions?

It is generally a good idea to attempt all the questions on a test or assignment, as it gives you the opportunity to earn as many points as possible. However, if you are short on time or struggling with a particular question, it may be better to focus your efforts on the questions you are most confident in answering.

4. Will doing all the questions guarantee a good grade?

While attempting all the questions on a test or assignment may increase your chances of earning a good grade, it is not a guarantee. Other factors, such as the difficulty of the questions and the grading system in place, can also affect your final grade. It is important to study and understand the material thoroughly in order to perform well on the test or assignment.

5. Is it possible to do all the questions perfectly?

In most cases, it is unlikely that someone will be able to answer every single question on a test or assignment perfectly. It is important to do your best and strive for accuracy, but it is also important to understand that mistakes can happen and it is okay to make them. The most important thing is to learn from your mistakes and continue to improve in your understanding of the subject matter.