1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I do an M.Sc. or M.Eng. after B.Sc. in chem?

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    If you don't have a B. Eng. (and are not a certified engineer):

Does it make sense to do an M. Eng.?

What is the difference between the kind of jobs you can get with an M. Sc. in chemistry, and an M. A. Sc. or M. Eng. in chemical engineering?

What about an M. Sc. plus MBA?

I am one year away from graduating with an honors chem degree. As my next research internship approaches, I am starting to realize that academia might not be the right place for me long-term. My interests are in sustainability, particularly water purification/recycling. Please forgive my vagueness. I am just beginning to explore what my interests are and how I can transition to a different career path. Any comments are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    i am to am interested in your question, does anyone have any advice

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3
    It's certainly still possible to get employment in engineering with a science degree followed by a master's in engineering, and without PE certification (at least in the US.). If I were you, I'd look into job requirements for current openings in your particular field of interest, since you already have this narrowed down. That way you can perhaps feel out how important PE certification is in the field (look at higher-level positions in the field for this).

As an aside, I've seen some publication that says they are considering individuals with a science degrees and 30 hours of master's level work in engineering qualify for PE testing and certification, but what I've read is that this won't happen until 2010 or 2012 at the earliest. (Too late for me... but maybe perfect timing for you!) Of course, as far as I know, this is still in the discussion stages, so I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket counting on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook