PhD from US after B.Sc, M.Sc from India

  • Schools
  • Thread starter androbada525
  • Start date
  • Tags
    India Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a career in theoretical physics, and their concerns about the lack of research opportunities in India. They inquire about the possibility of pursuing a B.Sc. Honours degree in India and then a M.Sc. degree in a country like Canada, with the goal of eventually applying for a PhD at a leading US university. The post also suggests considering a 4-year B.Sc. in applied mathematics at Athabasca University in Canada, as it is recognized by the US government and can provide valuable mentorship and references for admissions to graduate programs. The individual also asks about the chances of a Canadian university accepting their B.Sc. degree and funding their Masters degree, and the conversation ends with a suggestion
  • #1
I want to be a theoretical physicist. I have great interest in astronomy and want to pursue the same. Because of lesser research opportunities in India, I want to move out to US in the future. I have just given my board exams. I intend to do my B.Sc. Physics Honours from India. I have read that most of the US universities don't accept the India's 3 year long Bachelor's degree in comparison to their 4 year long degrees. If I follow up my B.Sc. Honours degree with a M.Sc. degree, can I apply for PhD from leading US universities? I have also read that in some countries Masters and PhD degrees are funded by the government (like Canada). So, can I take this route of pursuing my B.Sc from India, followed by Masters in a country like Canada? If I also do my PhD from Canada, what are the chances of doing research at a good place in the US? Your guidance will be extremely valuable to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
androbada525 said:
I want to be a theoretical physicist. I have great interest in astronomy and want to pursue the same. Because of lesser research opportunities in India, I want to move out to US in the future. I have just given my board exams. I intend to do my B.Sc. Physics Honours from India. I have read that most of the US universities don't accept the India's 3 year long Bachelor's degree in comparison to their 4 year long degrees. If I follow up my B.Sc. Honours degree with a M.Sc. degree, can I apply for PhD from leading US universities? I have also read that in some countries Masters and PhD degrees are funded by the government (like Canada). So, can I take this route of pursuing my B.Sc from India, followed by Masters in a country like Canada? If I also do my PhD from Canada, what are the chances of doing research at a good place in the US? Your guidance will be extremely valuable to me.
From www.athabascau.ca : "Students who hold a recognized first degree and who wish to obtain an AU undergraduate degree in a different subject area, (...) may transfer in up to 50% (60 crédits) into the four-year degree program, based on course work in the first degree that is applicable." _______________ I suggest you a 4-year B.Sc. in applied mathematics, at AU (only distance learning; reasonable fees). Athabasca University was the first "open university" founded in Canada. AU has always been the only public Canadian university recognized by the Government of USA. Its dean or registrarian will advice/mentor you: also your diploma would be accompanied _ a donation will secure the process_ with a letter of reference which will help your admission in a university most favarable for careers in theoretical physics. Research agencies are reluctant to mention which university is their target; many things need to be kept secret, for security and by influence of the CIA, FBI, NAS & NASA.
 
  • #3
theBin said:
From www.athabascau.ca : "Students who hold a recognized first degree and who wish to obtain an AU undergraduate degree in a different subject area, (...) may transfer in up to 50% (60 crédits) into the four-year degree program, based on course work in the first degree that is applicable." _______________ I suggest you a 4-year B.Sc. in applied mathematics, at AU (only distance learning; reasonable fees). Athabasca University was the first "open university" founded in Canada. AU has always been the only public Canadian university recognized by the Government of USA. Its dean or registrarian will advice/mentor you: also your diploma would be accompanied _ a donation will secure the process_ with a letter of reference which will help your admission in a university most favarable for careers in theoretical physics. Research agencies are reluctant to mention which university is their target; many things need to be kept secret, for security and by influence of the CIA, FBI, NAS & NASA.

That post gave me a lot of info. But, if i want to do specialisation in physics, shouldn't i take up B.Sc. physics? And what about the Masters? Do you recommend doing that? Lastly, i live in India. So, what are the chances of a Canadian university accepting my B.Sc. degree and funding my Masters too?
 
  • #4
All of the Indian students I know in grad school attended one of the IITs. I believe they did graduate with a masters.
 
  • Like
Likes theBin
  • #5
radium said:
All of the Indian students I know in grad school attended one of the IITs. I believe they did graduate with a masters.
They would have done their B.Tech. from the IITs then. It has already been mentioned that if you want to do PhD in physics, B.Tech. will be of no use in securing admission to the grad schools
Does anyone else have knowledge regarding this subject? I am running out of time.
 
  • #6
androbada525 said:
That post gave me a lot of info. But, if i want to do specialisation in physics, shouldn't i take up B.Sc. physics? And what about the Masters? Do you recommend doing that? Lastly, i live in India. So, what are the chances of a Canadian university accepting my B.Sc. degree and funding my Masters too?
If your financial ressources permit, once you get the AU bachelor in appl. math, move to Alberta and join in the professional order of mathematician-teachers. Then enter in a bachelor in physics engineering program, preferably in Canada. Join in an order of physicists or engineers in Canada and in the USA. Then, from India, at distance education service of Lehigh (small but reknown american university) do a M.Ing. mechanics or (engineering-oriented) math (only 30 credits: very high fees) or else. Then get to know with an american agency of personal, and stick to it all your lifetime.
 
  • #7
They did their bachelors at the same IIT. I assume it's similar to Europe where you get a bachelors and then go straight into graduate coursework. For example, at Cambridge your first free years are spent doing undergrad work and the last is done doing graduate coursework. You end up graduating with a masters.
 
  • Like
Likes theBin
  • #8
androbada525 said:
They would have done their B.Tech. from the IITs then. It has already been mentioned that if you want to do PhD in physics, B.Tech. will be of no use in securing admission to the grad schools
Does anyone else have knowledge regarding this subject? I am running out of time.
In North America the professionnal orders of technicians or/and technologists aren't favored by the Law. In the smallest laboratoy and in the american multinational institute of researches, any finalized design/ project, construction or experimental/ industrial process, requires the approval & site inspection(s) of a professional engineer, even in physics. So, its better to avoy the institutes of technology.
 

1. What is the process for obtaining a PhD from a US university after completing B.Sc and M.Sc in India?

The process for obtaining a PhD from a US university after completing B.Sc and M.Sc in India can vary depending on the university and program you are interested in. Generally, you will need to first research and identify the universities and programs that align with your research interests and goals. Then, you will need to meet the admission requirements, which may include standardized tests, letters of recommendation, and a strong academic record. Once admitted, you will need to fulfill the program requirements, which typically include coursework, research, and a dissertation defense.

2. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for international students applying for a PhD program in the US?

Yes, there are usually specific requirements and qualifications for international students applying for a PhD program in the US. These may include meeting language proficiency requirements, obtaining a student visa, and demonstrating financial stability to cover the cost of tuition and living expenses. Some universities may also require international students to have completed a certain level of education or have relevant work experience.

3. Can I transfer my credits from my B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India to a PhD program in the US?

It is possible to transfer credits from your B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India to a PhD program in the US, but it ultimately depends on the university and program you are applying to. Some universities may have specific policies and guidelines for credit transfers, while others may not accept any transferred credits. It is important to research and consult with the university's admissions office to determine their credit transfer policies.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD program in the US after completing B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India?

The length of time to complete a PhD program in the US after completing B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India can vary depending on the university and program, as well as your own progress and research. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a PhD program in the US, but it is not uncommon for some students to take longer to complete their research and dissertation.

5. Are there any scholarship or funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in the US after completing B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India?

Yes, there are often scholarship and funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in the US after completing B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in India. These may be provided by the university, government organizations, or private foundations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they can be competitive and have specific deadlines.

Suggested for: PhD from US after B.Sc, M.Sc from India

Replies
3
Views
964
Replies
17
Views
2K
Replies
7
Views
144
Replies
9
Views
998
Replies
10
Views
1K
Replies
6
Views
687
Back
Top