Should I do science or engineering?

In summary: You're going to have to do a lot of research on your own to figure out what you're interested in. Without more information, it's really difficult to say.What do you want to do with a science or engineering degree?What interests you in either area?
imagine
Hi! I've done Math and Physics (which I liked) in high school, felt ok about Chemistry, didn't like the memorising in Biology (but envy how biologists get to do some lab work and field work--nature!) and got a bachelors in Math-Statistics (I didn't enjoy stats in uni except probability, could be due to a variety of reasons). After my bachelors I felt that I perhaps should have done a science instead of purely art (math) instead.

Science or engineering, and in what fields of them, that's the question I am trying to answer! :bugeye:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that is going to depend on a lot of things that only you can answer.What do you want to do with a science or engineering degree?

What interests you in either area?

you have a degree, why don't you try to get a job with it? Did you find the jobs for your degree aren't what you expected?

Without more information, it's really difficult to say.

I assume, since you already have an undergrad degree, that you're looking at graduate school. With that in mind, what type of career do you want? Academia? Government lab? Industry? If industry, research or development (i.e. finding new things that might be useful or developing new products)? Are you interested in directing research/development projects (in which case you should get a PhD) or just working on other people's ideas (in which case you should probably stop at a MS).

Are you prepared to spend a lot of your professional time writing grant proposals? Being a working scientist does not generally mean you spend all your time in the lab.

Hi, thank you for your replies, I'm working for a year or two, but would just like to change fields and do a different bachelors when my mind's still fresh and working. I would like to eventually pursue a career in academia (just my dream, which I would regret if I don't at least try). I know it's really hard to answer, maybe because I do not know too in depth about all the subject matter themselves, hence my inability to choose with conviction. I tried to flip through some books, but I seldom know which book to give me a real overview.
For example, is biology in university like high school biology?

And briefly, what do you think about these subjects, what to expect when studying them, and the type of people they would be suitable for?

Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics (I know examples of many physicists-turned-economists), cognitive science, neuroscience, geography (physical and human), Engineering (e.g. Mechanical, Industrial)?

And is engineering really all about running programs and drills as some people tell me?

I know it's quite a wide range of subjects so I hope a variety of people could answer. Thank you!

Last edited:
For engineering: No, is not only about running programs and drills. It depends on what you choose.There are 3 types of of engineering types(+teaching engineering): research engineer, design engineer and production engineer. The last has to do wirth running programs and drills. The first and the second are more theoretical and what you want.
You can choose but only if the employer has this type of jobs, or if you have you own firm. If you want to be certain, choose a bachelor in science, physics for example or chemisty(not economics because I guess if you are bored with statistics the same will be with economics), here you will have only theoretical paths.

imagine said:
Hi, thank you for your replies, I'm working for a year or two, but would just like to change fields and do a different bachelors when my mind's still fresh and working.
Do you really want to go through those four years again? Much better is to go directly for a masters or PhD. You most likely will have to take a few undergraduate classes to fill in the gaps in your knowledge, but it won't be four years worth of undergraduate classes.

For example, is biology in university like high school biology?
Think of it this way: was mathematics in university anything like high school math? The same goes for any field of study.

1. Should I do science or engineering?

Choosing between science and engineering depends on your interests, strengths and career goals. Both fields offer unique opportunities and challenges, so it is important to carefully consider your options.

2. What is the difference between science and engineering?

Science is focused on understanding the natural world through observation and experimentation, while engineering applies scientific principles to design and build solutions to real-world problems.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both science and engineering have a high demand for skilled professionals. However, the job market may vary depending on your specific field of interest and location.

4. Can I major in both science and engineering?

Some universities offer joint programs where you can study both science and engineering disciplines. However, this may require a longer time commitment and a heavier workload.

5. What skills are needed for a career in science or engineering?

Both fields require strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. However, engineering may also require technical and design skills, while science may require strong research and communication skills.