Should I Drop a Class? | Transferring & Taking 5 Classes + Lab

• Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Drop
In summary, the student is taking 5 classes and an EE lab and is feeling overwhelmed. He is considering dropping one of the classes and is looking for advice on how to best deal with the burden of the class load. If he drops the class, he will have a DR/W on his transcript and may not be able to get into a good grad school.
jesuslovesu
I am currently taking 5 classes and a lab.
Dynamics
Electromagnetism
Circuits
Intro to Computer Engineering
Differential Equations
-Intro EE Lab

I am kind of feeling overwhelmed, I just transferred to another school and I guess I kind of got overanxious and took too many classes (not used to that many choices). It feels like I am constantly doing homework and not really allowing anything to sink in.

I am thinking about dropping Dynamics because
1) I hate dynamics ugh..
2) I would rather take Thermodynamics of Materials (MSE)
3) I'm an EE major so it's not required, I would have to take thermodynamics of materials or classical (analytical) mechanics (unfortunately, that class is probably way too hardcore for me) instead.
4) The 'TA' that lectures is horrendous, all he does is copy his notes for 50 minutes.

Dynamics also has a design project which means I'll have even less time to study for my other classes.If I were to drop dynamics, it would result in a DR/W on my transcript, will this affect my chances of getting into a good grad school? I am currently getting a 100% in dynamics (just from homework) but I really feel like it's dragging me down and will affect my performance with other classes. I was thinking about waiting until the first midterm and seeing how well I do on it, and then deciding, that will be in about 2 weeks. But like I said, I feel pretty weighed down with homework.

I also wanted to try to find a professor that I could do some research with (which is one reason why I transferred to a research university, but with this course load there's no way).

I know there are other threads similar to this, but I need some personal reassurance...

If I did drop, I would be taking 13 credits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dang, that's a terribly heavy load of classes to take. I'm currently in a Mechanical Engineering program that requires me to take Dynamics, Statics, Electromagnetic Physics, Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, and Circuits next years. From what fellow ME students have told me, they all either hated the Dynamics or the Electromagnetic class the most.

If you don't need the Dynamics class for your major I would definitely drop it, especially if it looks like it will drag down your other grades.

Others can probably give you a more informed answer, but I don't think an EE grad school will program will care too much about a withdrawel from Dynamics, especially considering dynamics is mostly a Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering type course. They'd probably have more questions if you dropped Circuits.

Thanks for your reply. I have pretty much decided that I will drop the class but I might wait until after taking the upcoming exam to see the difficulty.

Since I still have a 100% with just my homework grades, does anyone think I would get anywhere if I tried to talk with a dean and remove the DR/W from the transcript? It's not like I dropping it because I am failing it, just because I don't think I could perform well given all my other classes.

1. Should I drop a class if I am struggling to keep up with the workload?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and priorities. If you feel that dropping the class will improve your overall academic performance and well-being, it may be worth considering. However, before making a decision, it is important to consider the potential consequences such as delaying graduation or affecting financial aid.

2. Is it a good idea to transfer to a different class or school if I am not satisfied with my current class?

Again, this depends on your specific circumstances and goals. If you are unhappy with your current class and believe that transferring will provide a better learning experience, it may be worth exploring. However, it is important to research and understand the transfer process and any potential impacts on your academic progress.

3. Can I handle taking 5 classes plus a lab in one semester?

This can be a challenging workload, but it ultimately depends on your abilities, time management skills, and other commitments. Consider your previous academic performance and consult with an academic advisor to determine if taking on this workload is feasible for you.

4. What should I do if I want to drop a class mid-semester?

You should first consult with your academic advisor to discuss the potential consequences and alternative options. Then, follow your school's specific procedure for dropping a class, which may involve filling out a form and obtaining approval from the instructor and/or department.

5. Will dropping a class affect my GPA?

In most cases, dropping a class will not directly affect your GPA. However, if you drop a class and it results in you not meeting the minimum credit requirements for full-time status, it could potentially affect your financial aid or academic standing. It is important to carefully consider all potential consequences before making a decision to drop a class.