1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice needed on which class to drop

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    Hey guys!

I am a 4th year Physics university student and I wanted some advice on what class(es) I should consider dropping. I am taking too many challenging courses and I really do need to drop one or two classes. Here are the list of classes that I have and a short description (and a personal aside) of each:

Computational Physics I
    A review of computational methods for differentiation, integration, interpolation, finding zeroes, extrema, etc. proceeding to a concentration on numerical solutions of differential equations, basic spectral analysis, numerical methods for matrices and Monte Carlo simulation applied to problems in classical and modern physics.
    *I like coding but apparently a lot of work (average of ~7-9 hours a week outside of class).

Optics
    Includes reflection and refraction at interfaces, geometrical optics, interference phenomena, diffraction, Gaussian optics, and polarization.
    *Not a big fan of lectures in this class and there isn't a textbook that we're following.

Solid State Physics
    Includes crystal structures, lattice vibrations, and electronic properties of insulators, metals, and semiconductors; superconductivity.
    *First homework assignment uses a lot of Group Theory that I am not familiar with.

Electricity and Magnetism II
    Includes Maxwell's equations; electromagnetic waves and their interaction with matter; interference, diffraction, polarization; waveguides; and antennas.
    *Would rather not drop this class

Electronics Lab
    Analog and digital electronics for scientific applications, including the use of transistors, FET's, operational amplifiers, TTL, and CMOS integrated circuits.
    *Seems like an easy class so far.

(I am also planning on doing research related to optics.)

I'm leaning towards NOT going to graduate school, but I haven't completely ruled it out. I kind of want to get a job after undergrad and I heard that Photonics might be a field where I might be able to find a career. With all this in mind, which 1-2 classes would you guys suggest that I consider dropping?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think your best bet is to drop Solid State Physics and take it up in grad school if you do decide to go.

You kind of implied this by saying how some classes look easy and that you plan to do work in optics.

This leaves Solid State Physics hanging out there.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    Gotcha. I had a feeling that it would make the most sense dropping that class. It's a shame because I'm really interested in that class and I like the professor but it's probably the best for me not to take it. Thanks for your advice!

Any additional opinions are welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook