Advice needed on which class to drop

In summary, 4th year Physics university student is considering dropping one or two classes because they are taking too many challenging courses. They recommend dropping Solid State Physics and going back to grad school if they decide to pursue a career in Photonics.
opprobe
Hey guys!

I am a 4th year Physics university student and I wanted some advice on what class(es) I should consider dropping. I am taking too many challenging courses and I really do need to drop one or two classes. Here are the list of classes that I have and a short description (and a personal aside) of each:

Computational Physics I
A review of computational methods for differentiation, integration, interpolation, finding zeroes, extrema, etc. proceeding to a concentration on numerical solutions of differential equations, basic spectral analysis, numerical methods for matrices and Monte Carlo simulation applied to problems in classical and modern physics.
*I like coding but apparently a lot of work (average of ~7-9 hours a week outside of class).

Optics
Includes reflection and refraction at interfaces, geometrical optics, interference phenomena, diffraction, Gaussian optics, and polarization.
*Not a big fan of lectures in this class and there isn't a textbook that we're following.

Solid State Physics
Includes crystal structures, lattice vibrations, and electronic properties of insulators, metals, and semiconductors; superconductivity.
*First homework assignment uses a lot of Group Theory that I am not familiar with.

Electricity and Magnetism II
Includes Maxwell's equations; electromagnetic waves and their interaction with matter; interference, diffraction, polarization; waveguides; and antennas.
*Would rather not drop this class

Electronics Lab
Analog and digital electronics for scientific applications, including the use of transistors, FET's, operational amplifiers, TTL, and CMOS integrated circuits.
*Seems like an easy class so far.

(I am also planning on doing research related to optics.)

I'm leaning towards NOT going to graduate school, but I haven't completely ruled it out. I kind of want to get a job after undergrad and I heard that Photonics might be a field where I might be able to find a career. With all this in mind, which 1-2 classes would you guys suggest that I consider dropping?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your best bet is to drop Solid State Physics and take it up in grad school if you do decide to go.

You kind of implied this by saying how some classes look easy and that you plan to do work in optics.

This leaves Solid State Physics hanging out there.

Gotcha. I had a feeling that it would make the most sense dropping that class. It's a shame because I'm really interested in that class and I like the professor but it's probably the best for me not to take it. Thanks for your advice!

Any additional opinions are welcome!

1. What factors should I consider when deciding which class to drop?

When deciding which class to drop, you should consider factors such as your academic goals, the difficulty level of the class, your current workload, and any potential impacts on your future academic plans.

2. Will dropping a class affect my GPA?

It depends on the timing and policies of your school. If you drop the class early enough, it may not affect your GPA. However, if you drop the class after the deadline or if your school counts dropped classes as failing grades, it may have a negative impact on your GPA.

3. How will dropping a class affect my financial aid?

Again, this depends on your school's policies. If you drop a class after the add/drop period, it may affect your financial aid eligibility. It's important to check with your school's financial aid office for specific information.

4. Is it better to drop a class or receive a poor grade?

This is a personal decision and depends on your individual circumstances. Dropping a class may affect your academic progress, but receiving a poor grade may also have negative consequences. Consider talking to your academic advisor for guidance.

5. How do I go about dropping a class?

The process for dropping a class varies by school, but generally you will need to fill out a form or submit a request through your school's online system. It's important to do this before the deadline and to follow any specific instructions from your school.