Should I drop Engineering Statics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of taking a statics class early without the necessary background knowledge in vectors. The expert recommends dropping the class and taking a course in linear algebra before attempting statics again. They also suggest considering how the lack of understanding in vectors may affect future courses. The expert also mentions that most schools require taking physics I before statics and that attempting to take statics without prior knowledge in vectors is not advisable.
CaptainAtom1996
Hi all, I am currently taking calc 2, physics 1, engineering statics and two gen eds. I am struggling in my statics class mainly because I am having a very difficult time understanding vectors. My academic schedule has me actually taking it my third semester (i'm currently in my second semester), I decided I would try and take it early to try and get it out of the way, but I am finding out that it might have not been a good idea. Should I drop the class now and just try next semester, or should I try and grind it out this semester? I am concerned that if I am not getting the topics now, I will just be in the same position again next semester. I am really stressing out over what to-do. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend taking your time and only doing a course when you are ready for it and have the proper background preparation. In this case, it seems first taking a course on (or including) linear algebra may be useful. So: Yes, drop it now, otherwise it will just cause frustration and you will not learn much.

Likes Intraverno and CaptainAtom1996
Krylov said:
I would recommend taking your time and only doing a course when you are ready for it and have the proper background preparation. In this case, it seems first taking a course on (or including) linear algebra may be useful. So: Yes, drop it now, otherwise it will just cause frustration and you will not learn much.
Very good point, thank you very much!

CaptainAtom1996 said:
Hi all, I am currently taking calc 2, physics 1, engineering statics and two gen eds. I am struggling in my statics class mainly because I am having a very difficult time understanding vectors. My academic schedule has me actually taking it my third semester (i'm currently in my second semester), I decided I would try and take it early to try and get it out of the way, but I am finding out that it might have not been a good idea. Should I drop the class now and just try next semester, or should I try and grind it out this semester? I am concerned that if I am not getting the topics now, I will just be in the same position again next semester. I am really stressing out over what to-do. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You should ask yourself also what is going to change between now and the next semester that is going to smooth over your current difficulties.

If you are having trouble understanding vectors now, which are used only in basic calculations in statics, what is going to happen when you take a course in dynamics or fluid mechanics or multi-variable calculus, all subjects where more complex calculations involving vectors are used?

BTW, when I was an engineering undergrad, we took statics, calculus, chemistry, and a few other courses in the first semester, bang, right out of the gate. If you don't master vectors early, it's going to be a major problem to catch up down the road.

Likes CaptainAtom1996
Most schools require you take physics I before taking statics. That's because you learn vectors in physics I; statics assumes you already know the physics basics and should pick up from there. Frankly, they shouldn't even have let you register for it.

Likes CaptainAtom1996

1. Should I drop Engineering Statics?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you are struggling with the course and do not see yourself using the concepts in your future career, dropping the course may be a viable option. However, if Engineering Statics is a required course for your major or you plan on pursuing a career in engineering, dropping the course may hinder your progress and future opportunities.

2. Will dropping Engineering Statics affect my GPA?

Yes, dropping a course will typically result in a lower GPA. However, if you are struggling in Engineering Statics and it is significantly impacting your overall GPA, dropping the course may improve your GPA in the long run.

3. Can I still graduate if I drop Engineering Statics?

This depends on your university's policies and the requirements for your specific major. Some majors may allow you to substitute another course for Engineering Statics, while others may require you to retake the course in order to graduate. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making a decision.

4. Will dropping Engineering Statics affect my financial aid?

If you are receiving financial aid, dropping Engineering Statics may affect your eligibility for aid in the future. Some scholarships and grants require you to maintain a certain course load and GPA, so dropping a course could result in losing those funds. It is important to check with your financial aid office before making a decision.

5. What are some alternative options to dropping Engineering Statics?

If you are struggling with Engineering Statics, there may be alternative options to dropping the course. You could consider seeking help from a tutor, talking to your professor about your concerns, or joining a study group with classmates. Your university may also have resources such as academic support centers or counseling services that can assist you in improving your performance in the course.