Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I get the 2 GHz or 2.2 GHz 15 MacBook Pro?

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    Should I get the 2 GHz or 2.2 GHz 15" MacBook Pro?

I'm going to get a 15 inch MacBook Pro for College this fall. I don't know if I should get the 2 ghz or 2.2 ghz because of the graphics. I have to money for either one, but if I don't need the 2.2 ghz, then I don't want to buy it. I will be running programs such as AutoCad (maybe I need the better graphics card for this) and other engineering programs. Should I get the 2.2 GHz since I will be running these programs? If I didn't get the 2.2 ghz, I would probably upgrade the ram to 8gb and maybe get a SSD. I know for sure I would get 8gb of ram. I'm not sure if I would get the SSD because it isn't that big of a drive (compared to 500 or 750 gb).
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2
    Re: Should I get the 2 GHz or 2.2 GHz 15" MacBook Pro?

Bumpity Bump

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3

I don't thin difference between those two processor speed will be noticable with engineering application. That SSD size is way more than you need for any engineering application, more RAM can never hurt but if its the difference between say 6 and 8 it won't matter, 4 to 8 may matter in some rare instances. Better graphics card is about the only place you would see a difference if you are doing big 3D models.

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

I did not look up the spec and you did not mention the size of the SSD; but I presume that SSD drives have come down in price and it is probably a decent size...more than enough for the amount of data you should care to carry at any one time....you shouldn't have EVERYTHING with you at all times, you should do back ups and leave some stuff at home...stuff that does not change anymore and stuff that you do not need on a daily basis...

For large size drives, SSD has the same access speed for all the data, whereas harddisks have to think about it and go back and forth looking for data written some time back as supposed to data written not long ago...

Also, I feel that for portable devices, an SSD has the added robustness of no-moving parts...hard disks (talk about bumpity bump) feel the bump and eventually may simply fail.

my 2 cents

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook