Should I mention fellowship in statement of purpose

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Hercuflea
Messages
593
Reaction score
49
Hi,

I am working on some academic statements of purpose for this upcoming year's grad school applications. I will be applying to a fellowship funded by my undergrad university which I think I have a good chance of receiving, and I was wondering if it is a good idea to mention that in my statement of purpose?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't mention anything I haven't officially been awarded.
 
How does it affect your *purpose*? The answer to that question might be relevant.
 
Will you find out if you received the fellowship before the applications are due?
 
Sadly, no. However my intention is to let the admissions committee know that I am actively seeking funding. I have been told by several graduate program coordinators that your chances of admission are much higher if you have external funding.
 
Hercuflea said:
I have been told by several graduate program coordinators that your chances of admission are much higher if you have external funding.

That may be true, but how does that affect your purpose? A statement of purpose should be just that, and not a collection of other information that you couldn't shoehorn into some other part of your application.