1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I mention fellowship in statement of purpose

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am working on some academic statements of purpose for this upcoming year's grad school applications. I will be applying to a fellowship funded by my undergrad university which I think I have a good chance of receiving, and I was wondering if it is a good idea to mention that in my statement of purpose?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2
    I wouldn't mention anything I haven't officially been awarded.

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How does it affect your *purpose*? The answer to that question might be relevant.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4
    Will you find out if you received the fellowship before the applications are due?

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5
    Sadly, no. However my intention is to let the admissions committee know that I am actively seeking funding. I have been told by several graduate program coordinators that your chances of admission are much higher if you have external funding.

7. Jun 10, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That may be true, but how does that affect your purpose? A statement of purpose should be just that, and not a collection of other information that you couldn't shoehorn into some other part of your application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook