1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I reapply for a missed job?

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    Well, it is going on 4 months now since my layoff and i'm starting to feel desperate about finding work. I have been on a few interviews, some through a recruiter and one on a direct application. The last interview I went on through a recruiter went really well but unfortunatly I did not get the job. I believe I was a very good fit for the job and the interviewers seemed to really like what I had to offer. I still have the contact information for them. My gut feeling as to why I did not land the job was related to salary. I know recruiters tack on 10-20% for their commish and since this was for an entry level position I think that may have priced me out of the slot. About a month has gone since that interview took place. Would it be impropper to use that contact information and try to work my way in directly? I know they have some new oppenings available because of what is posted on their website. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would follow up for feedback directly from the people you spoke with. It is fair ask them directly what the reasons were that they went with someone else. Also, you can let them know that you were impressed with the position and would be interested if something similar came up. Headhunters will likely have had you sign a contract that protects them for any jobs they specifically put you contact with. But for any position you've found yourself, I think it's fair game to apply on your own. Just make sure that you understand the full conditions between yourself and the recruiter.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    It can't hurt much. Just don't put too much hope on it, and keep looking for other things.

I rather seriously doubt that this was the reason. If you got an interview that means that the company was willing to pay market rate for a new hire. For newbies, the decision is hire/no-hire and salary rarely factors into play.

Also gut feelings tend to be extremely wrong. One thing that you will have to get used to is not getting a job and never knowing why. Sometimes the company hiring really doesn't know why.

It can't hurt much, but just don't expect anything.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4
    Also, if you did go through a recruiter, the recruiter should be the person that does the talking. That's what they get paid to do.

It can't hurt much to ask, but don't expect an answer, especially not an honest one.

People are conditioned against saying "you stink" to random strangers even if that's what they really think, and the point of recruiters is that if the employer really was extremely unimpressed, it's easier to tell them and have them tell you.

One thing that you have to be honest with yourself about is whether you want sympathy or if you want brutal but honest feedback. If you are feeling miserable about yourself, having someone tell you what they honestly think about you, is probably not going to help you.

It's fair to ask, but don't expect an answer. People are polite to strangers.

No that's not how it works. Headhunters don't have any contracts with people they put forward.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
    I have never been affraid of honesty and I much prefer that to just a generic canned answer. I know they had their internal HR working to fill that slot as well. That is the only reason I think salary may have come into play. I have management experience and a proven work history and finished my degree this last May. I was going in against a lot of fresh out of school types and I have found sometimes that puts me at a disadvantage at times especially in an accounting field. I think i'm looked at as not "groomable" versus someone without the work experience. I just don't want to leave any stone unturned, not in this job market. Any and all advice is appreciated.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #6
    The problem is that the information is not often useful and gets in the way of the job search. If you find that you are completely unqualified for one job, that really tells you nothing useful about the next job.

The problem is not fear, but depression. If finding out how badly you did in one interview prevents you from performing well in the next, it's information that you really don't need.

One thing that really, really helped me a lot is to have worked with salesmen. In most sales situations, the answer will be no, so the trick is to go through as many no's as possible so that you can get to a yes. The more you dwell on the past, the less you think about the next lead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook