1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I retake the GRE? 450/800

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I'd like to enter a mechanical engineering master's program at a respectable university (I'm aiming for at least Penn State. I'd LOVE to get into Stanford/MIT/CalTech). I took the GRE for the first time today. I was surprised by both my verbal and quantitative scores because my verbal was very low and my quant was perfect. As I understand, most good universities are looking for at least 500/700. Will my perfect quant score be enough to make up for my lousy verbal? I'm confident that I can get 750+ consistently on quant.

I haven't gotten my writing results back, but I'm expecting a 3-3.5.

I have a ~3.5 GPA

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    This is what I have heard from a few professors now that I have entered graduate school: they care more about the verbal and writing sections, and the most about the writing sections of the GRE. Not quite sure about the reasoning on that one. I think they want to know that you will be able to put together a coherent thesis and publications.

As to the value of retaking it - I am not sure. I have heard some schools care a lot about the GRE, but I know mine puts less weight into it.

Second note: A few of my friends and I all got perfects on the quant section - it seems that is common for people coming out of science and engineering.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Eh.. your username says you're dyslexic. Is this true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook