Should I rewrite my math diploma exam?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary: I don't know what your marks are in Math 30, but if you scored a 8% less than someone else, it would make sense to rewrite the test.
Atomos
If you are not from Alberta, for each senior year high school academic subject you write a diploma exam that is worth 50% of your mark in that course. I scored 97%. Many of my friends got in in the 90s on this exam, and a few obtained a perfect score. I plan on going into some sort ofmathematical science. Is this a competitive mark for acquiring admission into such faculties? Is it worth my time rewriting it and attempting to obtain a perfect score? I have been told that there is stiff competition admission into such undergrad programs (for the better schools atleast).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what this means but you scored 97% in a specific "course"?

How will the admissions see what exact percentage you received in a specific class?

Lol if you got a 97% it would be stupid to waste your time writing it again, the average is what usually around 65 tops? I don't know what schools you are going to apply for but the U of A the highest admission average is 80%, it will probably be around 76% if your not going into an Honors problem. If you have a mark good enough to get into the program you want, don't worry about it, once you get into university its meaningless anyway. Go to the websites of the Univerisities you want to apply to and look at the admissions averages for yourself, I think you'l find its easy to get into undergrad and harder to get into the professional programs.

I only got 89% on the Math 30 diploma this semester (very disappointing; Math, my favourite subject, turned out to be my lowest grade of all of my diploma exams), but if a guy who scored 8% less than you can say something:

The grades that go on your official transcripts have no indications as to what you scored on your diploma exams; the only number on there will be your blended mark consisting of your course grade and the 97% you got on your diploma, so even if you score a 100% in June, your math grade will only go up by 1.5%, which really isn't worth the trouble, especially when you consider that your course grade for Math 30 probably would've been 90%+ anyways (you don't mention this, but I'd say that this is a fair assumption considering your Diploma grade)

On top of that, assuming that you're applying for addmissions to September/06, by the time the Education Board releases your grades for your rewritten test, it will be well into July, which would be long after all the universities have sent out their acceptance letters.

However, I've only applied for Canadian Universities, and have no idea as to how all of this works for American Universities, or ones overseas, which is very likely to be your case.

Anyways, Good Luck on getting into your top choice university/program!

You typically take the SAT to apply to American universities.

1. Should I rewrite my math diploma exam if I failed the first time?

It depends on your personal goals and circumstances. If you need a passing grade for graduation or to meet a prerequisite for a course, then rewriting the exam may be necessary. However, if you are satisfied with your grade and do not need to retake the exam, then it may not be necessary to rewrite it.

2. Can I rewrite my math diploma exam to improve my grade?

In most cases, no. Most educational institutions do not allow students to rewrite exams for the purpose of improving their grade. If you are not satisfied with your grade, it is best to speak with your teacher or academic advisor about other options for improving your grade.

3. Is it worth it to rewrite my math diploma exam?

It depends on your personal goals and situation. If retaking the exam will significantly improve your overall grade or help you achieve a specific academic goal, then it may be worth it. However, if the potential benefits do not outweigh the time and effort required for a rewrite, then it may not be worth it.

4. Can I rewrite my math diploma exam if I am not satisfied with my grade?

In most cases, no. As mentioned before, most educational institutions do not allow students to rewrite exams for the purpose of improving their grade. It is important to review your options and talk to your teacher or academic advisor before deciding to retake the exam.

5. How can I prepare for a math diploma exam rewrite?

There are a few things you can do to prepare for a math diploma exam rewrite. First, review your previous exam and identify areas where you struggled. Then, focus on studying and practicing those specific concepts. It can also be helpful to seek extra help from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, make sure to get plenty of rest and arrive to the exam well-rested and prepared.