Should I switch to Linux or Mac?

Hi,
For my next computer I either want a PC running OpenSUSE for coding and Ubuntu for gaming. I can code C++, Python, and Swift. I know that for Swift development you need a Mac computer. There's just no other way to code swift other than getting a Mac and XCode. But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++). I've grown up with Windows machines and I absolutely hate them. Linux and Mac both solve the problems that Windows has. I'm just debating with myself right now whether I should stick to a PC running a Linux distro in the future or get a Mac for coding and some online gaming. Thank you.

rbelli1

Gold Member
But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++)
Both Windows and Mac have the capability to work with those languages. What caused you to think that only Linux is capable of compiling C++?

BoB

One key issue is commercial software. You’re pretty much guaranteed that it will work on Mac or Windows but for sure not on Linux without some sort of VM like Wine.

Some examples include MS Office or Apple iTunes.

If you like Linux go for it. I use Ubuntu on one machine and have MacOS on another and switch between them depending on what I want to do. MacOS is somewhat quirky when installing some software (dmg vs tarballs) but the Unix style commands and scripting work similarly to Linux that we have no problem doing Linux development on both Mac and Linux machines interchangeably in Java and Python (anaconda distro)

But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++).
I agree with @rbelli that this is absolutely not the case. I'm partial to Windows machines, myself, and program in C, C++, x86 assembly, Python, MIPS assembly, and am currently getting up to speed in Lisp.

jtbell

Mentor
I know that for Swift development you need a Mac computer.
[...]
I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++)
Have you tried Google searches for:

macos c++
macos python
macos jdk [Java Development Kit]

Anaconda python works on all platforms of note, same for java and c++