Should I switch to Linux or Mac?

In summary,The individual is considering whether or not to switch to a Linux-based operating system in the future, but notes that this is necessary for compiling C++. They mention that there are certain software applications that are only available on Windows or Mac, and that Google search results show that this is not the case for all languages.
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA
Hi,
For my next computer I either want a PC running OpenSUSE for coding and Ubuntu for gaming. I can code C++, Python, and Swift. I know that for Swift development you need a Mac computer. There's just no other way to code swift other than getting a Mac and XCode. But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++). I've grown up with Windows machines and I absolutely hate them. Linux and Mac both solve the problems that Windows has. I'm just debating with myself right now whether I should stick to a PC running a Linux distro in the future or get a Mac for coding and some online gaming. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA said:
But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++)

Both Windows and Mac have the capability to work with those languages. What caused you to think that only Linux is capable of compiling C++?

BoB

Likes QuantumQuest and jedishrfu
One key issue is commercial software. You’re pretty much guaranteed that it will work on Mac or Windows but for sure not on Linux without some sort of VM like Wine.

Some examples include MS Office or Apple iTunes.

If you like Linux go for it. I use Ubuntu on one machine and have MacOS on another and switch between them depending on what I want to do. MacOS is somewhat quirky when installing some software (dmg vs tarballs) but the Unix style commands and scripting work similarly to Linux that we have no problem doing Linux development on both Mac and Linux machines interchangeably in Java and Python (anaconda distro)

Likes QuantumQuest
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA said:
But I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++).
I agree with @rbelli that this is absolutely not the case. I'm partial to Windows machines, myself, and program in C, C++, x86 assembly, Python, MIPS assembly, and am currently getting up to speed in Lisp.

Likes jedishrfu
LinuxMicrosoftMCSA said:
I know that for Swift development you need a Mac computer.
[...]
I know that Linux is pretty much required for coding the other languages that I mentioned (Java, Python, C++)
Have you tried Google searches for:

macos c++
macos python
macos jdk [Java Development Kit]

Anaconda python works on all platforms of note, same for java and c++

1. Should I switch to Linux or Mac?

It ultimately depends on your personal needs and preferences. Both Linux and Mac are reliable operating systems with their own unique features and advantages.

2. What are the main differences between Linux and Mac?

Linux is an open-source operating system, meaning its source code is freely available and can be modified by anyone. Mac, on the other hand, is a proprietary operating system developed by Apple. Additionally, Mac has a more user-friendly interface while Linux requires some knowledge of command line usage.

3. Is it easy to switch from Windows to Linux or Mac?

Switching from Windows to either Linux or Mac may require some adjustment at first. However, both operating systems have user-friendly interfaces and offer a variety of software that can be easily downloaded and installed.

4. Which one is more secure, Linux or Mac?

Both Linux and Mac are generally considered to be more secure than Windows. Linux has a built-in security system that protects against viruses and malware, while Mac has a strong security system due to its closed-source nature and frequent updates.

5. Can I still use Microsoft Office on Linux or Mac?

While Microsoft Office is not natively available on Linux, there are open-source alternatives such as LibreOffice that offer similar features. On Mac, Microsoft Office is fully compatible and can be easily downloaded and installed.