1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take complex analysis or abstract algebra?

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    Being a high school student who will be going into physics, should I take complex analysis or abstract algebra in the fall? I can't take both at once, and I am set to take intro to QM (I will already have taken Calc I-III, an introductory functional analysis course, and linear algebra. I also will probably have taught myself differential equations by then).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm also a physics student and I didn't take an abstract algebra course (though one course of linear algebra). I'd go for the complex analysis course. Complex numbers are commonly used in physics, in optics/E&M dealing with waves or working with impedances of circuital components. I also believe knowing analyticity concepts are important for the upper undergrad courses. Maybe someone who took both courses could give you a better answer.

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with fluidistic. Complex analysis is extremely helpful for many branches of physics.

Perhaps abstract algebra would be helpful for more advanced physics courses, but complex analysis you'll use in most of your undergraduate classes.

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    Okay. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook