1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shoud I take Ring/Field Theory or Complex Analysis?

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    Having just finished an introductory course on group theory (with some bits of ring and field theory), I am completely enthralled with this type of math. I initially planned on taking Complex Analysis next semester since so many people say it's "useful" for physics (this was also a compromise with my research mentor who was rather annoyed I chose abstract algebra over differential equations this semester) but now I'm undecided as Ring/Field Theory seems like it would be fascinating. On the other hand, both of my physics courses this semester (Hamiltonian Mechanics/Chaos and Quantum Mechanics) started using results from complex analysis (mostly with integration), which was a little disorienting. I know I will eventually take both math courses at some point during my undergrad, but would it be unwise to delay Complex Analysis? If relevant, I am leaning toward mostly theoretical as opposed to experimental/applied physics courses for the rest of undergrad.

Math courses taken: linear algebra, advanced calculus, group theory (all proof-based)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Both are beautiful parts of mathematics so I would take both. But since you're asking which one to take first and you need complex analysis soon, so I suggest taking it and waiting for the algebra course. Complex analysis is both useful and beautiful but don't forget to take the Ring/Field stuff later!
    I should mention that I don't think going that much inside algebra is useful in physics but its of course worthy for the sake of its beauty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook