1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take my stats class from the statistics or math department?

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    To those familiar with university structure,
    mine offers two different statistics courses (besides those that are offered to fields like soc. or bio. which are not open to non majors). One is offered by the statistics department, one by the math department.
    Is there a generalized difference between the two? Which would offer a sounder education? I'm thinking about going into an experimental physics PhD so my statistics education will probably be important...

I'll be sure to ask my school advisors too. But I'm wondering if there's a general difference between the two.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2
    Have you looked at the course descriptions? And if so, were there any major differences in the classes?

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    I would assume the one in Math is more theoretical and the one in Statistics more applied. But I am not sure, so please do let me know if and when you find out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook