Should I take my stats class from the statistics or math department?

In summary, there are two different statistics courses offered at the speaker's university, one by the statistics department and one by the math department. The speaker is wondering if there is a general difference between the two and which would offer a better education for someone interested in pursuing a PhD in experimental physics. They plan to ask their school advisors and also consider the course descriptions to determine any major differences between the classes. The speaker assumes the math course may be more theoretical while the statistics course may be more applied, but they are unsure and would like to know more.
DukeofDuke
To those familiar with university structure,
mine offers two different statistics courses (besides those that are offered to fields like soc. or bio. which are not open to non majors). One is offered by the statistics department, one by the math department.
Is there a generalized difference between the two? Which would offer a sounder education? I'm thinking about going into an experimental physics PhD so my statistics education will probably be important...

I'll be sure to ask my school advisors too. But I'm wondering if there's a general difference between the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the course descriptions? And if so, were there any major differences in the classes?

DukeofDuke said:
Is there a generalized difference between the two? Which would offer a sounder education?

I would assume the one in Math is more theoretical and the one in Statistics more applied. But I am not sure, so please do let me know if and when you find out.

1. Should I take my stats class from the statistics or math department?

This is a common question for students who are interested in taking a statistics course. The answer depends on your academic goals and career path. If you are pursuing a degree in a field that heavily relies on statistical analysis, such as data science or economics, then taking the class from the statistics department may be more beneficial. However, if you are interested in a more theoretical approach to statistics, then the math department may be a better fit.

2. What are the main differences between a statistics and math department?

The main difference between a statistics and math department is their focus. Statistics departments tend to focus on the practical application of statistical methods and techniques, while math departments focus more on the theoretical foundations of mathematics. Additionally, statistics departments may offer more specialized courses related to data analysis and research methods.

3. Which department offers more hands-on experience with data analysis?

Both departments may offer hands-on experience with data analysis, but the approach may differ. Statistics departments may focus on using software programs and tools to analyze data sets, while math departments may emphasize the development of mathematical models and equations for data analysis. It is important to research the specific courses offered by each department to determine which one aligns with your goals.

4. Will the difficulty level of the course vary between departments?

The difficulty level of the course may vary between departments, but it ultimately depends on the specific course and instructor. Some students may find statistics courses more challenging due to the practical application of concepts, while others may struggle with the abstract nature of mathematical concepts. It is important to research the course syllabus and read reviews from previous students to get a better understanding of the difficulty level.

5. Can I take a statistics course from both departments?

In most cases, it is not recommended to take the same statistics course from both departments as there may be overlap in material and it may not count towards your degree requirements. However, if you are interested in gaining a more comprehensive understanding of statistics, you may consider taking courses from both departments, but be sure to consult with your academic advisor first.