Should I transfer just because I can't find accomadations?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the speaker having to live off-campus due to a lack of housing at their current college. They are considering transferring back to a bigger university but are unsure about finding off-campus housing there as well. The speaker also expresses concerns about their ability to cook and bike, but others in the conversation encourage them to embrace this new experience and see it as an opportunity for growth.
flyingpig
Simply stated, the college I am attending might not be able to provide me housing next year and I might be forced to live off-campus.

I don't know the area too well and I am a bit afraid of going out and look for vacant apartments (I am a bit afraid of the cost too).

Should I transfer back to a university at where I once lived? The university is a bit bigger, but I probably will still have to live off-campus.

In case you are wondering, I am trying to transfer into SFU and UBC Vancouver.

I couldn't find a transfer average for SFU on their site (pretty much all the links are broken)

Also, I am just wondering when you transfer, does your class average for that course display? Or the names of your instructors? Or is it just your grades?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are worse reasons for transferring, but I think you should try to find an apartment first.

Don't be ridiculous, this is life, you can't just run away every time something doesn't go your way. If this is your only reason, stay the course, there's lots of affordable off-campus housing out there, and if you're so worried about it, then this is actually a good reason to do it, because you need to overcome that fear. Plus, usually it's cheaper to live off-campus.

But it's more convenient living on campus, I am planning to get a job on campus as well.

I can't even cook so living off campus isn't a very good idea...

When I mean I can't cook, I can't even crack an egg properly

flyingpig said:
But it's more convenient living on campus, I am planning to get a job on campus as well.
I agree it's more convenient, I currently live on campus at the moment, as well. But if I didn't get a place here, I still wouldn't consider transferring just for that. Try and get a place close to the campus, I'm sure there's plenty around. Or perhaps get a place close to the bus or the train station, if it isn't within walking distance from the campus. Also, you can get a bike. I bike everywhere, even in -30°C (that first gust of cold hitting your face really wakes you up and there's nothing better than the warm feeling of unthawing when you come to class), and I'm guessing the weather where you are staying isn't as extreme. Although rain can suck pretty bad.
flyingpig said:

At your age, I couldn't cook, either, apart from maybe boiling a weiner (and yeah, I always messed up on cracking eggs, as well, parts of the shell would always drop into the pan). I now cook every day at least once or twice and I constantly get complimented on how good my food looks and smells :biggrin: I also used to hate cooking, now I love it and can't imagine not cooking my own food. You probably didn't know Maths or Physics prior to learning them, either, right? You have to start someday, and college is the best opportunity to do that.

I think this off-campus move could be one of the most positive things that could happen to you, because it will really throw you out of your comfort zone. But you'll see after a while that it really wasn't a big deal, and you'll be able to get out of it with added life experience and improved skills. Of course that doesn't mean go get an apartment in the worst part of town just to really test your limits, but I really think you should be fine, and shouldn't really think about transferring at this time (unless you have other reasons, of course). That's just my take on it, so take it for what it's worth.

Ryker said:
I agree it's more convenient, I currently live on campus at the moment, as well. But if I didn't get a place here, I still wouldn't consider transferring just for that. Try and get a place close to the campus, I'm sure there's plenty around. Or perhaps get a place close to the bus or the train station, if it isn't within walking distance from the campus. Also, you can get a bike. I bike everywhere, even in -30°C (that first gust of cold hitting your face really wakes you up and there's nothing better than the warm feeling of unthawing when you come to class), and I'm guessing the weather where you are staying isn't as extreme. Although rain can suck pretty bad.At your age, I couldn't cook, either, apart from maybe boiling a weiner (and yeah, I always messed up on cracking eggs, as well, parts of the shell would always drop into the pan). I now cook every day at least once or twice and I constantly get complimented on how good my food looks and smells :biggrin: I also used to hate cooking, now I love it and can't imagine not cooking my own food. You probably didn't know Maths or Physics prior to learning them, either, right? You have to start someday, and college is the best opportunity to do that.

No it doesn't rain, but i has been snowing for about three to four months now. I also can't bike...

My college is small, I mean we only got like six or seven physics professors here

I think this off-campus move could be one of the most positive things that could happen to you, because it will really throw you out of your comfort zone. But you'll see after a while that it really wasn't a big deal, and you'll be able to get out of it with added life experience and improved skills. Of course that doesn't mean go get an apartment in the worst part of town just to really test your limits, but I really think you should be fine, and shouldn't really think about transferring at this time (unless you have other reasons, of course). That's just my take on it, so take it for what it's worth.

It might take an hour to get to the college,. The transit system suck here lol

No, you shouldn't transfer. At some point in your life you will be required to find somewhere for yourself to live. If you run away and transfer to a college that will baby-sit you, then you are just putting off the inevitable for a few more years.

Then under what circumstances do people transfer?

flyingpig said:
It's a lot more fun to live off campus. Convenience is not everything.

How do you expect to live after you graduate? Maybe now is a good time to start learning how to take care of yourself. And you can always order pizza in an emergency.:smile:

No I would go to a family restaurant or I will get married and make my wife cook for me.

Don't take this the wrong way but... you really should be able to cook by 18-22 (assuming you went to uni straight from HS). It really isn't tough to learn just learn it during your summer break.

flyingpig said:
I will get married and make my wife <insert anything here> for me.

I don't think you are quite prepared for the realities behind the concept of "wife". :tongue:

flyingpig said:
No I would go to a family restaurant or I will get married and make my wife cook for me.

Preparing your own meals doesn't necessarily mean doing everything from scratch. Check the frozen foods section of your nearest supermarket. My wife has to work late often, and then I just pull out a frozen Stouffer's Lean Cuisine entree, a bag of frozen veggies and a bag of prepared salad. Heat up the Lean Cuisine and a small bowl of frozen veggies in the microwave, pour some salad into another bowl, and I'm done.

When I was in grad school, I could boil rice or spaghetti; fry a hamburger, a pork chop or a fish fillet; bake a potato, etc. Nothing fancy, but it saved me from having to eat a restaurant meal every night. I ate out once or twice a week.

Likes Astronuc
Okay fine, I can make normal rice and maybe scrambled eggs and congee. I can't cook meat...

I can sort of make fish (I peek in my kitchen when my mother prepares food)

1. Should I transfer just because I can't find accommodations?

No, transferring solely because of difficulty finding accommodations is not recommended. There are other possible solutions to this issue, such as exploring off-campus housing options or reaching out to the housing office for assistance.

2. What if I can't afford the housing options available?

If you are struggling financially, it is important to speak with the housing office and financial aid office at your institution. They may be able to provide you with resources or options for more affordable housing.

3. Is it worth transferring for better housing options?

This ultimately depends on your individual circumstances. If housing is a top priority for you and significantly affects your academic performance and well-being, then it may be worth considering transferring to an institution with better housing options. However, make sure to weigh the pros and cons and consider other factors such as academic programs and campus culture.

4. Can't I just live off-campus instead of transferring?

Living off-campus is an option, but it may not be the best solution for everyone. Off-campus housing can be expensive and may require additional responsibilities such as transportation and managing bills. Furthermore, living on-campus can provide a more immersive college experience and convenience in terms of proximity to classes and campus resources.

5. What if my roommate or housing situation is unbearable?

If you are experiencing issues with your roommate or housing situation that cannot be resolved, it may be worth considering transferring. However, first try speaking with a residence advisor or the housing office for assistance in resolving the issue. Transferring should be a last resort in this situation.