Should I transfer to a harder/better university? (CS)

In summary: But if you have considered the math on the financial questions and can swing it would increased debt, then go for it.
Arnoldjavs3
Hi, I'm currently a part time CS student at a local university near me. It's not a bad university, but it's not the greatest either. However, I've been working 30-40 hours per week while having a part time schedule. I'm thinking about potentially quitting my job, transferring to UoFT(which si the best university in Canada) and focusing there.

But this is my dilemma. I have around a 3.6 GPA atm(low 80s) so I don't know if I'll have troubles getting in, but I hear UoFT is very difficult school and that they quite literally expect lots of people to fail their undergrad and drop out. Apparently UoFT's program is ranked 11 around the world, where my current university is probably no where near that.

Now a bit of backgruond on how I learn I guess: I am a somewhat self-learner. I read alot, watch videos online, ask for help on forums like these(and stackexchange is really great) rather than attend lectures. I rarely attend lectures if anything. On top of that, I have good discpline on maintaining a schedule for studying(I like to have 30 minutes- 1 hour daily of study for every subject).

Given all this info, would you recommend transferring? I have already transferred once, and I'm unsure if it's in my interests to transfer again. I'm aware that CS is a field where you want to have your own portfolio and experience rather than program prestige but I feel that the difference between the two is so vast.
What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the likely financial requirements of switching, I would tend to recommend against it.

The benefits don't seem to balance the risks and additional costs, especially if you would need to incur a significant debt load to do it.

In general, my advice to undergrads is "Go to the best institution you can where you can graduate debt free."

Dr. Courtney said:
Given the likely financial requirements of switching, I would tend to recommend against it.

The benefits don't seem to balance the risks and additional costs, especially if you would need to incur a significant debt load to do it.

In general, my advice to undergrads is "Go to the best institution you can where you can graduate debt free."
Is there something I'm missing here for financial requirements of switching? I'm assuming you studied in the States so there may be variations but I do not believe there should be too many costs associated with transferring.

I would not be moving to a different area as both universities are in the same city. I may lose a few credits if that's what you mean?

You're aiming for industry work, right? I got my bachelors at a lowly state school in the American South, and several of my friends from the same institute got jobs at Google by having good grades and netting an internship.

Focus on grades and getting an internship, not the burden of transferring to a "better" university, unless you want to go the academic route and have no opportunities for undergraduate research.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Is there something I'm missing here for financial requirements of switching? I'm assuming you studied in the States so there may be variations but I do not believe there should be too many costs associated with transferring.

I would not be moving to a different area as both universities are in the same city. I may lose a few credits if that's what you mean?

You mentioned quitting your job. In the states, the better schools tend to have higher tuition, and as you surmised, there is often some loss of credits (and need to pay for and retake courses) when switching to a better school.

But if you have considered the math on the financial questions and can swing it would increased debt, then go for it.

My experience in the US is that circumstances similar to yours usually require a significantly increased student debt load.

Crass_Oscillator said:
You're aiming for industry work, right? I got my bachelors at a lowly state school in the American South, and several of my friends from the same institute got jobs at Google by having good grades and netting an internship.

Focus on grades and getting an internship, not the burden of transferring to a "better" university, unless you want to go the academic route and have no opportunities for undergraduate research.

I am not completely alienated to the idea of academia, but yes I do believe industry work is better situated for me. It's just that I feel like the content/course material of my program is subpar which is why I'm not sure. (Of course, working on my own stuff would probably be quite beneficial as well with internship experience)

Dr. Courtney said:
You mentioned quitting your job. In the states, the better schools tend to have higher tuition, and as you surmised, there is often some loss of credits (and need to pay for and retake courses) when switching to a better school.

But if you have considered the math on the financial questions and can swing it would increased debt, then go for it.

My experience in the US is that circumstances similar to yours usually require a significantly increased student debt load.

Ah, well in Canada tuition costs are honestly very similar. Prestige of school doesn't add too much(of course they will vary, but they're very similar). At this point it's the retaking of courses that would push me away from not switching(on top of it being apparently very difficult).I think I'll apply just to keep the door open and if I decide I want to transfer in X months I can give it a go.

1. Should I transfer to a harder university for my CS studies?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. Transferring to a harder university may offer a more challenging and competitive academic environment, which can push you to excel and potentially open up more opportunities in the future. However, it may also require you to adjust to a new campus and potentially a higher cost of living. Consider weighing the pros and cons before making a decision.

2. How do I determine if a university is "better" for CS?

There are a few factors to consider when evaluating the quality of a CS program at a university. Look at the faculty and their research interests, the curriculum, and the resources and opportunities available for students, such as internships and research opportunities. You can also look at rankings and reviews from current or former students. Ultimately, the best university for you will depend on your specific needs and goals.

3. Will transferring to a harder university improve my job prospects?

While attending a prestigious or more challenging university may open up more job opportunities, it is not a guarantee. Your skills, experience, and networking also play a significant role in job prospects. It's important to focus on building a strong academic foundation and gaining relevant experience in the field, regardless of the university you attend.

4. Is it worth transferring to a harder university if I have to take on more student debt?

This is a personal decision that depends on your financial situation and priorities. Attending a harder university may bring long-term benefits, such as increased job opportunities and potentially higher salaries. However, it's important to consider the potential financial burden and weigh it against the potential benefits before making a decision.

5. Can I transfer to a harder university in the middle of my CS program?

It may be possible to transfer to a harder university in the middle of your CS program, but it will likely depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university. You may need to have a certain GPA, complete prerequisite courses, and go through a competitive application process. It's best to consult with the admissions office of the university you are interested in transferring to for more information.