Should i withdrawal or keep going?

• Thread starter lishab
  • Start date
In summary, the student has dropped six courses but still has a 2.903 GPA. He has a tutor and is still seeing poor academic outcomes despite working hard. He is worried about whether or not he will be accepted into a university due to his low grades.
lishab
Okay i am a undergrad at a community college with 6 W's so far. I know that's not good. These classes has been dropped because i did not need them, or i didnt have a good professor, or i was trying hard but still didnt get any good outcomes and knew i was going to fail so i just went ahead and dropped..

BUT, i did take them again and got a good grade. My Gpa is a 2.903

So I am in statistics now, and right now i have a 46%... I have a tutor (which isn't a good one) and have been going to tutoring labs. And i still have bad outcomes on tests and quizzes. Its like my teacher is really harsh on grading. I am not one of those students who just doesn't show up to class. A few students withdrawn from the class already so there's not a lot students in there.

The end of the semester is approaching. Should i withdraw and have 7 W's or should i keep going..?. I've talked to counselors, some would say drop it some would say keep going..
Im so frustrated.. and all i need is 8 more credits to receive my associates degree.

HOW MANY WITHDRAWALS HAVE YOU HAD? AND WERE U STILL ACCEPTED INTO A UNIVERSITY? I guess I am just worried that i won't get accepted into a university because of my W's

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think whether you withdraw or not is less important than asking what is the cause of your overall poor academic performance, and why do you think it would improve when you find yourself in a more challenging situation a four year university.

I'm not involved in admissions at any university, I am just a senior physics student. But to me 6 withdrawals would throw up some serious question marks.

You may be doing several things wrong. Some things to think about: How is your course load during those semesters that you withdrew from courses, including this current term/semester? Do you spend ENOUGH time studying and do you study EVERY DAY for this course? Is your prerequisite knowledge faulty or inadequate (you need to look inside yourself for this)? Are these W's all for the same course or for different courses? Do you spend time during the intersession break or during summer either studying what you dropped from, or studying prerequisite knowledge, or studying ahead? Do you repeat courses from which you withdraw and earn a decent grade the second time? What do you do after dropping with a W? Do you continue attending and trying to study in order to attempt to build some (although inadequate) skill and knowledge in the course?

Which kind of Statistics course are you studying now? Is this Elementary Statistics? Were the courses which you earned W's all mathematics courses?

I transferred to a good university with one W. Six is a lot; I think you will still get in somewhere, but it may not be somewhere you want to go.

What symbolipoint and Phyisab**** said is true: you have to discover the root cause of your struggles.

symbolipoint said:
You may be doing several things wrong. Some things to think about: How is your course load during those semesters that you withdrew from courses, including this current term/semester? Do you spend ENOUGH time studying and do you study EVERY DAY for this course? Is your prerequisite knowledge faulty or inadequate (you need to look inside yourself for this)? Are these W's all for the same course or for different courses? Do you spend time during the intersession break or during summer either studying what you dropped from, or studying prerequisite knowledge, or studying ahead? Do you repeat courses from which you withdraw and earn a decent grade the second time? What do you do after dropping with a W? Do you continue attending and trying to study in order to attempt to build some (although inadequate) skill and knowledge in the course?

Which kind of Statistics course are you studying now? Is this Elementary Statistics? Were the courses which you earned W's all mathematics courses?

Its elementry stats. The other W's were electives and political science. But after i dropped i re-did them and got a decent grade. I have been studying. But since last year I've been going down hill after my dad was incarcerated. So it was hard to stay focus. Also i messed up this semester because i took 2 hard classes which was chem and stats. i thought i would be able to handle it, but i couldnt, it was hard to stay focus. But i continue to still do better.

Also other classes i dropped because i didnt need it, and this Stats class i don't even need, i changed my major. But if i drop it it will pile up with the other W's

lishab said:
Also other classes i dropped because i didnt need it, and this Stats class i don't even need, i changed my major. But if i drop it it will pile up with the other W's

It it too late to change the grade option to pass/fail?

lisab said:
It it too late to change the grade option to pass/fail?

You mean as in WF or WP? isn't that worse then just a W..

lishab said:
You mean as in WF or WP? isn't that worse then just a W..

I don't know what WF and WP are. Pass/fail is a grade option where you don't get a grade, you get a pass or a fail. You get credit if you pass, but your GPA isn't affected.

The details vary school to school, and maybe it's not offered everywhere. Perhaps you should look into it.

lisab said:
I don't know what WF and WP are. Pass/fail is a grade option where you don't get a grade, you get a pass or a fail. You get credit if you pass, but your GPA isn't affected.

The details vary school to school, and maybe it's not offered everywhere. Perhaps you should look into it.

Yea its just the withdrawal. WF is withdrawal failing and WP is withdrawal Passing..
I think I am just going to drop. And pray i still get accepted into another college. I am just going to send in mad apps. Def stay focused and not take hard classes at the same time.

lishab,
You appear to be discussing this with yourself on the forum board. Some of your W grades are logically explainable, but some might be more difficult. If your major field has usually been in science or technology and if most of your W's were in unrelated electives and humanities and social sciences, then you possible still have very useful an academic record. Other life-stresses are also logically explainable.

About Statistics, this can still be a valuable course. You may at least have the opportunity for curve fitting; and knowing various ways to treat and evaluate data might be useful in other courses which occur beyond your A.A. degree.

1. Should I withdrawal or keep going?

This is a common question that many individuals face when making a decision about a particular course of action. Ultimately, the answer depends on your individual circumstances and goals.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding whether to withdrawal or continue?

When considering whether to withdrawal or keep going, it is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of each option. You should also consider your personal values, current situation, and long-term goals.

3. How can I determine if I am making the right decision?

There is no one right answer when it comes to deciding whether to withdrawal or continue. It is important to carefully evaluate all available information and consider the potential outcomes of each choice. Seeking advice from trusted individuals, such as a mentor or advisor, can also be helpful in making a decision.

4. What are some potential consequences of withdrawing or continuing?

The consequences of withdrawing or continuing can vary depending on the specific situation. Withdrawing may result in a loss of progress or financial investment, while continuing may lead to additional stress or challenges. It is important to carefully consider these potential consequences before making a decision.

5. Is it okay to change my mind and reverse my decision?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to change your mind and reverse your decision. It is important to regularly reassess your goals and circumstances and make changes as needed. Remember, it is never too late to make a different decision if it is in your best interest.