Should The Galaxy Have Been Colonized By Now?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CarlB said:
My vote is that we're the first intelligent life to mature in the galaxy and that we will likely be able to colonize the rest of it before anything else shows up.
Carl
So long as we don't destroy ourselves first!

Garth

Compare to earth, which is colonized by different types of creatures, of whom we count ourselves as the dominant race. Ants, or flies had also colonized the earth way earlier than men, but are they dominating anyone?
My point is that even if the galaxy is colonized by some ceratures resembling to humans (including the green men) it doesn't necessarily mean that we are dominant in Milky Way.

So, there are 2 basic explanations for the great silence: (1) we are the first; (2) they are already here, and we just don't know about it because their technology is beyond our ken and their ethics are advanced enough so that they don't overtly meddle in our society.
There is another possibility for a great silence and that is the 'Alien lifeforms' may communicate via lightwaves or scent like some of the lifeforms on Earth do.

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
CarlB said:
My vote is that we're the first intelligent life to mature in the galaxy and that we will likely be able to colonize the rest of it before anything else shows up.
Carl
sounds like a plan

let's go for it

CarlB said:
Carl
You could be right, but who knows? The sheer amount of stars is overwhelming and to cancel out the idea that there isn't any other life in our galaxy alone is just proposterous.

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I made a poll for reactions to CarlB's idea

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=97989

It seemed like something to get some focus on.

You are invited to register your take on it so we can see how opinions sort out or if there is any PF consensus on it.

Last edited:
marcus said:
my hat is off to you
in my experience original ideas are rare and this is one
for me, this is a new possible explanation for the apparent silence
(and the short time that colonization should take, compared with the age of the galaxy)
I realize you are just throwing it out, not promoting, but since it seems to work and is new (to me) I see it as a handsome contribution.

Thanks Marcus! :smile:

WarrenPlatts said:
According to Kaku, we are now in what he calls a Type 0 civilization. A type 1 civilization will be able to capture the free energy of an entire planet, and will have mastered the interplanetary environment. A type 2 civilization will be able to gather the free energy of entire solar systems, allowing the colonization of nearby star systems. And finally, a type 3 civilization will be capable of roaming entire galaxies. A type 1 civilization would be able to survive calamities natural or man-made limited to the Earth itself, but would still be vulnerable to nearby supernovae and gamma ray bursts, the impending collision with the Andromeda galaxy in 4 billion years, and the death of the Sun itself. Type 2 civilizations would have more survivability, and a type 3 civilization would be for practical purposes immortal—until, that is, the entire universe runs out of free energy.
Granted, we humans have our dark side, and we may cause our own extinction. On the bright side, it should be noted that human evolution seems to be accelerating. After 100,000 years of stone-age technology, it took only 10,000 years to reach the industrial revolution that began 200 years ago. Therefore, we can predict that humans will reach full type 1 status within the next 800 years or less. Indeed, considering that humans already co-opt 40% of Earth’s net primary productivity, that we have sent men to the Moon and probes to every planet except Pluto, and that we could—if we had the political will—manage the Earth’s atmosphere to maintain any desirable, global, average temperature, it would seem that we are already half-way to type 1 status. Michio Kaku himself has suggested that we will achieve type 1 status within a century—as long as we can stave off the terrorists who would have us return to a type -1 civilization.
Nice post.

Just wanted to add a little if you don't mind. The 'type' of a civilization you are referring to is based on the Kardashev Scale. Read here for a little more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Also - we are currently estimated to be a type 0.7 on the scale - not 0.
This is based on an equation by Carl Sagan.

Lastly with reference to terrorists returning us to a type -1 civ. There is actually a negative Kardashev scale - I think proposed by Frank Tipler et al.
The -ve scale is 'good' though and is an indication of a civilizations ability to harness smaller and smaller scales - eg, nanotech - genetics, molecular biology etc.

Personally I think that the Kardashev scale, though brilliant when suggested, is a little outdated. A type 2 civ for example would have to construct a Dyson sphere to be considered type 2 - eg, utilize all the available energy in the solar system. It is my humble opinion that humanity will have mastery of newer forms of energy that will open up reservoirs of energy far vaster than the output of the sun - with far less effort than the construction of such a behemoth (Dyson Sphere).

At a crude and naive guess it may be in the form of vacuum energy, singularity energy or perhaps something to do with strings and extra dims.
Don't quote me on this :) But the Dyson sphere is very '20th century' thinking.
We are 21st century physicists now and have some extremely exciting physics developing.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pardon my pessimism, but I see no future in attempting to extract 'energy' from empty space. I must see the lower available energy state before considering that possibility.

Chronos said:
Pardon my pessimism, but I see no future in attempting to extract 'energy' from empty space. I must see the lower available energy state before considering that possibility.

Maybe casimir plates?

Forward has shown how the Casimir force could in principle be used to extract energy from the quantum vacuum:

Phys. Rev. B, 30, 1700, 1984

Just a start...like noticing magnetism for the first time.

...although personally I have recently began thinking that old people should be put to work in huge factories and forced to pedal on cycle machines hooked up to a massive national grid network.

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
robousy said:
...although personally I have recently began thinking...
or pessimistic people generally, since it would confirm the correctness of their expectations and thereby provide an empowering experience for them.

turbo
Gold Member
robousy said:
...although personally I have recently began thinking that old people should be put to work in huge factories and forced to pedal on cycle machines hooked up to a massive national grid network.
Would you arrange to have the "old people" receive painful shocks if we fail to pedal fast enough, or would you prefer to whip us instead? :mad:

turbo-1 said:
Would you arrange to have the "old people" receive painful shocks if we fail to pedal fast enough, or would you prefer to whip us instead? :mad:

lol.

I think electric shocks would be too extreme and whips certainly inhumane.

Perhaps a device that tickled you if you failed to produce over 70 rpm.

:surprised

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It would seem more efficient to implant a pleasure center stimulator powered by a generator affixed to the peddling mechanism.

Colonzation of the galaxy whould require a lot of energy.A civilation to colonize the entire galaxy whould have to a type 3 civiltion.Our civiltion has existed for 12,000 years and were still a type 0 civiltion.It should take us about 1 millon years to become a type 3 cilivtion.I don't think if there is anyother intellgent life it probally whouldn't have enough time to evole to become a type 3 civiltion.There might an type 2 cilivtion and probally a type 1 cilivtion(if were not the frist farring civiltion)We might just be in a remote region where there's really no reason to colonize.If there are any earth-like planets they might not all have intellgent life on it Earth didn't have Intellgent life for billons of years